Adding Cruise Control - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2004, 15:44   #1 (permalink)

Adding Cruise Control

Hi, I'm new. I have a 03 Ranger, Std Cab, short box, 2.3L 4 cyl., std. transmission

I was wondering if it is possible to add an aftermarket cruise control to this truck. If so, how difficult is it and how expensive?
char_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2004, 19:56   #2 (permalink)

Re: Adding Cruise Control

Hey, first off simply because the truck is a standard it would be a lot of work, you would have to wire a great deal of things to various parts of your truck, and you would have to change things on your computer as to have the computer notice the cruise control. But the main point is that it is possible but it will take a lot of work, and it is a standard, they are not meant to have cruise control thats why then invented automatics. Hope some of that helps. cya.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 15:55   #3 (permalink)

There is absolutely no reason why you can't install an aftermarket cruise control system in your truck. Whether it's a manual or an automatic, it doesn't matter.....the cruise control still works exactly the same way. Most of the aftermarket systems are easy to put in with just a little mechanical and electrical knowledge and a few basic tools and they do not require any computer change. Do a net search for a cruise control system and you'll find all the info you need.
Full 3" stainless Bassani Exhaust
32" BFG's/stock suspension

"No replacement for displacement."

"Our lugnuts require more torque than most Honda's produce!"
'92BigBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:53   #4 (permalink)

I added an aftermarket cruise to my '94 3.0 V6 5-spd and it's been great. The hardest part was finding a place to mount it and then bending the (included) mounting bracket to make it work. But even that was not too hard.

Mine cost under $200. All the wires included guillotine-type connectors for the wires so you don't have to splice anything. Their website had all the detailed install instructions, including where all the wires needed to connect.

I got one with a dashboard mount and installed it on one of the flat sections below the left side vent. These spots looked purpose-built for after-market switches (or for options I don't have) and worked great.

Totally worth it. Great on my commute, and essential for my recent cross-country move.
'94 Ranger XLT SuperCab since '04
old_pear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum