Airbag Light, ABS Light, Seatbelt Light - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 07:10   #1 (permalink)

Airbag Light, ABS Light, Seatbelt Light

98 ranger here. All those lights are lit up on the dash...

the rotors and pads for the brakes were changed out and replaced and still the ABS light is on.

the seatbelt is buckled and the light stays on.

with the airbag light, it flashes and then it stays on. (based on other postings on msg board, i will have to look at it and see the sequence of flashes)

how serious are these problems? and how easy are they to fix? i am no mechanic to say the least, so are these expensive problems to fix i guess is the better question.

people talk about finding the "code" based on how the light on the dash is flashing and i dont know how to do that. can anyone explain in simple terms how to go about finding this stuff out?

many thanks folks.
WanderingPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2007, 11:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: Airbag Light, ABS Light, Seatbelt Light

My seatbelt/airbag light has been "fixed" twice by Dealer!First it was the harness/wiring under drivers seat.Then recently they repaired seatbelt tensioner.Last Warranty Repair covered!I'm on My Own Now,so I'll be Fixin my Truck through here!2002 Ranger XLT Supercab 4X4 Off Road V6 3.0,Auot.75000 miles!
rangerteret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:43   #3 (permalink)

interesting...so when those lights are on is the airbag de-activated?

any idea how much those repairs were at the dealer if you didnt have the warranty?
Old 07-31-2007, 12:47   #4 (permalink)

ok, found out the airbag light is spitting out code 27... apparently a fairly easy fix according to other forums and web searches. i have never looked at the wires and stuff under the dash, but it seems straightforward from some step by step instructions i got in another forum. anyone have success stories with this fix? or warnings (haha probably more important)?

with regard to the ABS light... my speedometer is not doing crazy things so apparently the sensor near the tranny is ok. does anyone know where the rear ABS sensor is?-- and i mean really explain if you can. cause i am pretty novice with this stuff. is it something i could simply look at and clean off to try and get the light to go off? if it needs replacement, can anyone provide some instructions on how to do so?

also, its not the seatbelt light that stays on.. its the door ajar light. anyone know where the sensor is for this? perhaps i can just clean it off or something. any thoughts on getting that light cleaned off.

thanks for any and all help!
Old 08-01-2007, 06:34   #5 (permalink)

alright so just an update in case someone uses this to troubleshoot a similar problem for them...

last night i pulled out the ash tray (behind this is apparently where the lighting module is that causes the error code 27 to flash when the light burns out) and i just gave it a look over, straightened out some of the mess in there and organized it a bit. i closed the flap, put the ash tray back in.. turned the car on a few minutes later and the light went off.

go figure, right?

the door ajar and ABS lights are still on though. will continue to troubleshoot those before i head to the shop.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:11   #6 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

ABS light is on because of a bad wheel speed sensor most likely, but a shop would need to hook up the computer to be sure.

That PAD (Passenger Airbag Deactivation) switch will need replaced soon. It might be OK now, but it will fail again.

Get a good penetrating oil (PB Blaster) and lube the piss out of the door latches. After lubing them, repeatedly slam the door open and closed many times and you might get lucky. I don't think 1998 has rear doors, but those also have switches in them.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:43   #7 (permalink)

nice one, thanks.

is the wheel speed sensor tough to replace myself? any thoughts on tackling that one...?

the PAD switch.. easy to swap out or what? is this the light bulb thing that i have been reading where you can buy it at radio shack and swap it out yourself for like two bucks?

will give your door trick a shot this weekend, thanks again for the help man.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:44   #8 (permalink)

also any idea on repair cost for that wheel speed sensor?
Old 08-03-2007, 07:49   #9 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

The speed sensor is built into the bearing hub assy and needs replaced as a unit, but only a computer diagnostic can tell you which side.

As far as I know, the PAD is replaced as a unit and I am not sure if the bulb is replaceable. Try taking it apart and you may get lucky! It is the blown bulb that causes this.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum