Barely able to shift 1999 ranger into 1st gear - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 11:34   #1 (permalink)

Barely able to shift 1999 ranger into 1st gear

Hey guys, so all of a sudden i can barley put my 1999 4L 4x4 ranger 5 speed into first gear.. and when the vehicle has been parked on a hill i can barely get it into any gear (when the engine is on)..when the engine is off i can easily move the shifter into the gears.. when downshifting from 2nd to 1st there is no issue.. but once i stop it i have to jam it into gear.. and when is tart to push it i can feel the tranny kind of clunk like the clutch isnt engaged.. i checked the clutch fluid. it was very low so i filled it and its kinda better but there is a little plastic filter thing in the resevoir and it doesnt look like any of the fluid can even pass through it into the system..? any ideas thanks!!
jeffconnell12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 11:48   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Barely able to shift 1999 ranger into 1st gear

If it was very low as you said , check for any signs of a leak . You may have some luck if you bleed clutch but with needing topping up could have problems , but worth a try , nothing to lose .

P.s
Check the video further down the board on bleeding clutch system " 98 Ranger Clutch issue "
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:59   #3 (permalink)

I would start with bleeding the system. This system can be tricky to bleed though. These videos have helped me greatly, hopefully they will be of value to you.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:08   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorman68 View Post
I would start with bleeding the system. This system can be tricky to bleed though. These videos have helped me greatly, hopefully they will be of value to you.

Ford Ranger & Mazda B-Series Pickup Clutch Hydraulic Release System Bleeding Procedures - YouTube

Ford Ranger & Mazda B-Series Pickup Clutch Hydraulic Release System Bleeding Procedure Part 2 - YouTube
Grrrr! Why didn't I have this back when I had my '86? Bleeding was a nightmare!
jimbo58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum