Brake issues..... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 06:06   #1 (permalink)

Brake issues.....

I'll try to go through this step by step....

Driver's side brakes started sounding like there was metal to metal. I took the wheel off the inspect and the inner pad was worn to the metal. Outside pad still had about a 1/4 inch of material left. I took the passenger side apart and the wear was the same....1/4 of an inch left. I had the rotors turned and well, the driver's side one was out of spec but I they turned it anyways. I put it all back together. I new something must be wrong with the driver's side caliper for it to wear that one pad out that bad but it would be a week before the new one was in.

All seemed fine till I started getting a whine on the driver's side. it would stop when I touched the brakes or gently turned the steering wheel. I figured it was the caliper sticking. The new one came in yesterday so I tore down the driver's side again. As I took things apart, I notice the OUTSIDE pad was wearing at angle. I then saw that the top caliper bolt pin (it slides and has a rubber boot) had some deep gouges in it. I put the new caliper on and bled the brakes.

All was fine till the whine came back this morning. Stops when I hit the brakes....comes back when I let off. Steering left to right stops it as well.

Thanks to all. Need help......its my work vehicle.
justin murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 06:36   #2 (permalink)

Re: Brake issues.....

Also....

If I jack up the front, how free should the front wheels spin? Should there be any resistance at all?
Old 11-16-2010, 07:07   #3 (permalink)
Always the student

slight resistance is ok, clean and lube the slides for the calipers. Rotors turned too thin may warp.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:06   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz View Post
slight resistance is ok, clean and lube the slides for the calipers. Rotors turned too thin may warp.
Where is the humming coming from?
Old 11-16-2010, 08:12   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Could be a wheel bearing issue. Jack it up and with hands at the 12 o'clock & 6 o'clock positions, see if there's any in and out movement.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:41   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

If it's a droning type noise , like JWKO suggests , probably wheel bearing .The noise can change when you work steering as it transfers load on/off bearing . Also ,as THE FONZ suggests , make sure the pads are free to move / slide in calliper .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:26   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.LOGAN View Post
If it's a droning type noise , like JWKO suggests , probably wheel bearing .The noise can change when you work steering as it transfers load on/off bearing . Also ,as THE FONZ suggests , make sure the pads are free to move / slide in calliper .
Would this cause the outside pad to wear at an angle? The inside one was fine.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:40   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

You could have two faults (1) wheel bearing and (2) pad sticking / seized . I have seen pads seized at top/ bottom which causes pad to tilt and wear accordingly .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:51   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.LOGAN View Post
You could have two faults (1) wheel bearing and (2) pad sticking / seized . I have seen pads seized at top/ bottom which causes pad to tilt and wear accordingly .
Would a bad caliper cause it to seize? I'll guess I'll just have to wait and see since I replaced the caliper.

Should it wear back flat since I put a new caliper on?
Old 11-17-2010, 18:25   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If the caliper was the fault, it should be even wear.If the pad is already worn at an angle, it will help a little but it's going to follow the original pattern. I'd uce new pads. Brakes are a safety item and I never take a chance with them.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum