Check Engine on a 99 ranger - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2004, 15:09   #1 (permalink)

Check Engine on a 99 ranger

Folks,

I have 99 Ford Ranger.

The check engine light cam on my truck about a week back. Each time I start the truck now, it rocks a bit befor it starts. If I let go the clutch while pressing the accelerator (like I used to before when starting), the truck stops running. It seems I need to press the accelerator a lot more before I let go of the clutch to get it going.

Also, when I press the accelerator, it makes a noise. In summary, most of the problems are when starting the vehicle or when picking up speed. Any ideas of what maybe wrong. I plan to get the codes looked up later today from Autozone.

Thanks,

--Mahesh
mks_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2004, 10:22   #2 (permalink)

Re: Check Engine on a 99 ranger

I checked the error codes and it is PO102 MAF (Mass Air Flow) or VAF (Vane Air Flow) circuit low input.

This says that either the two sensors are defective or the vaccum hose/throttle body inlet tube is cracked or broken.

Since my car seems to runs smoothly sometimes and jerks other times (low speed), can it be concluded that I need to change the MAF circuit? I am guessing that if it was a hose issue, it would be continuous problem?

Suggestions??

Thanks,

--Mahesh
mks_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 14:41   #3 (permalink)

Re: Check Engine on a 99 ranger

Cheapest thing to try would be to pull out the MAF cone, spray the sensor wires with electrical contact cleaner, then spray again with compressed air. You can get aerosol cans of both for a few bucks. If the wires are dirty this will help, also a necessary duty for those of us with K&N filters. Otherwise it's off to the dealer.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/johnnyo
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum