code:"catalyst system efficiency below threshold" - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2006, 18:22   #1 (permalink)

code:"catalyst system efficiency below threshold"

I own a 96 Ranger 2.3L 238,000 miles.Scanned the computer and came up with "catalyst system efficiency below threshold" I was wondering if this means that I need to replace the Oxygen sensor. Also came up with "fuel lean in left bank 1" or something close to that. I was wondering if this had to do with the oxygen sensor or something else. Thanks in advance.
ejc914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2006, 18:45   #2 (permalink)

Re: code:"catalyst system efficiency below threshold"

What was the code number??? If it is p0420 that has to do with the cats and USUALLY means that it(they) are bad and need to be replaced.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 22:58   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejc914
I own a 96 Ranger 2.3L 238,000 miles.Scanned the computer and came up with "catalyst system efficiency below threshold" I was wondering if this means that I need to replace the Oxygen sensor. Also came up with "fuel lean in left bank 1" or something close to that. I was wondering if this had to do with the oxygen sensor or something else. Thanks in advance.
you could drop he pipes and open the top of the cat , throw the guts out and weld shut , did the code go out ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:27   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like it may be the cats too. I can't say for sure. One thought and it may or may not apply here but I've heard, at least on older cars, especially those built in the late 70's, early 80's can have cats that go bad, causing a restriction which can drastically affect performance, ie, make the car perform rather sluggish, if not very sluggish.

Looking back on it now, I wonder if I had that issue with an old '78 US Ford Fairmont I had. The cat would get warm enough that on warm - hot days, I can feel the heat waft up from underneath the car, making the car even more uncomfortable to be in on those days. Also the car had no A/C and poor ventilation except when moving fast. Also the car would take forever to get up to freeway speeds and no matter how I tried, it simply would not do a burn out. It was the 200ci inline 6 dating back to the mid 60's but with anti polution crap on it.

Just a thought. Since then, I've not experienced that issue in my last two Hondas and both had 181K+ miles on 'em when I sold them, the last one being yesterday.

I currently drive a 92 Ranger and so far, so good at 188K+ miles on it.
92rangerstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum