cold shift problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2006, 18:36   #1 (permalink)

cold shift problem

91 ford Ranger v6 3.0 having problems with hard shift first time moved in morning. It never happens after the engine is warmed up. Any help?
Bill Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2006, 16:19   #2 (permalink)

Re: cold shift problem

where do you live, could be frozen
pillen140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:06   #3 (permalink)
issuer of free advice

if it is an automatic it needs a tranny fluid filter changed and flushed or the tranny is going out.

if it is manual it needs a tranny fluid change or the syncros are shot.

most likely though you need a fluid change.
mre_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:50   #4 (permalink)

Hey I've got a 93 ranger 3.0 4x4 that just LOVES to chew synchro's in 2nd gear.. This is the second tranny (just cause it was dirt cheap) and it drove fine for about 4 months and now 2nd gear synchro seems 2 be gone.. It's a real sumthin to shift into second when it's cold and gives me a little trouble warm at times..
I'm wondering if any of you guys know a good place to get the synchro's from or a decent rebuild kit with synchro's bearings gaskets etc.. Nothing inside the Trany is chewed just that friggen Synchro for 2nd. I'm from Canada and you don't want to know how much ford wants...

and just a side note.. anyone else find it kinda fkd up to see the all new 07 Honda CRV at the top of a fordforum page?
1StuckTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:21   #5 (permalink)
issuer of free advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StuckTruck
Hey I've got a 93 ranger 3.0 4x4 that just LOVES to chew synchro's in 2nd gear.. This is the second tranny (just cause it was dirt cheap) and it drove fine for about 4 months and now 2nd gear synchro seems 2 be gone.. It's a real sumthin to shift into second when it's cold and gives me a little trouble warm at times..
I'm wondering if any of you guys know a good place to get the synchro's from or a decent rebuild kit with synchro's bearings gaskets etc.. Nothing inside the Trany is chewed just that friggen Synchro for 2nd. I'm from Canada and you don't want to know how much ford wants...

and just a side note.. anyone else find it kinda fkd up to see the all new 07 Honda CRV at the top of a fordforum page?
what kinda fluid do you have in it?
Old 12-06-2006, 12:35   #6 (permalink)

I am using ATF fluid like Chilton calls for in the Mazda Tranny's. I don't have the mitsubishi that calls for the gear oil.
But would a good 80w90 gear oil better do the job? The manual transmission oil that the manual and chilton call for is no longer made by ford for in the Mitsubishi tranny, I read on the ranger enthusiest site that a good synthetic 80w90 gear oil will do the job instead of the manual gear oil the manual/chilton call for. Or should I just leave it with the ATF?

The Fluid in the tranny was new when installed 4 months ago... so How bad could it be? other than wrong stuff?
Old 12-06-2006, 14:29   #7 (permalink)
issuer of free advice

mercon/dextron atf is the fluid you should have in it. over at ranger specific forums some have said that gear lube is ok. but i stick to what manufacture says 90% of the time. i had gear oil in mine before i changed it and the gears grinded a little now with the atf it shifts ok and easier. and even helped me find the shift rail plugs leaking. have you noticed any fluid under truck?

it could be a fluid leak, low fluid from install, or just bad luck. i cannot see how normal operation of the truck will eat a syncro
Old 12-06-2006, 23:57   #8 (permalink)

Hey, No There's no leaks, the 3 plugs at the top of the tranny have been well sealed those leaking ........... And I wasn't sure to put in some gear oil or not.
The Tranny is full it's been sealed well the last time is was re-re'd. And it's full as i can get it, take the fill plug out it trickles out slow so it's topped best i can..
There's no grind at all shifting just a real pain in the butt when it's cold.. 3rd has a little grind now and then but nothing i'm worried about. Did it with the last tranny too.. But second is a pain..
Something else I'm wondering, When it starts cold it'll rev up and down from 500-1500 back and forth until it's ran a little, i've changed the fuel filter air filter and run a bottle of stp injector cleaner in it Other than that i don't know what to check/change/clean....And I notice i don't have any real good acceloration until i hit about 2000rpm in 3rd and 4th gear it's sluggish any lower rpm...
Thanks alot for the help I appriciate it!
P.S Describe normal? hehehehe It is my toy....
Old 12-07-2006, 04:47   #9 (permalink)
issuer of free advice

then i would look at commonalities between the 2 transmissions. like if you used the same shifter.after that. it maybe just coincidence that your new used tranny is starting to go. this soon after a swap.

on the other issues fluctuations like that are fixed with tune ups, and cleaning the idle air control. and adjustment.
Old 12-07-2006, 14:18   #10 (permalink)

Yes, I used the same shifter plate with the tranny swap. The rubber plugs in the other one leaked more than the titanic so i used mine...
As for the Cleaning of the AIC Valve okay i'll clean that up today.. Forgot to mention have new plugs n wires too...
Changed everything that was easy to me to change..
BTW.. This is my 2nd Transfer case too :) but they're $200 a pop So replacing them isn't tooooo bad....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum