Ford Forums banner

Decarbon/ Crushed Walnuts Problems On 03 ranger

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  tifffany00 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 Ranger XLT Off Road with 29000 as I write this. I noticed one day it had some pingng problems like bad gas. I brought it back and the dealer told me the it was some kind of timing chain problem or something that was recalled. So they fixed it. Well 2 days later still no power and pinging and knocking all over again. Brought it back and they said it is carbon build up. So they did something with water and some kinda product they poured in the intake or something. Well Ford says all fixed. Well the same day the truck fell on its face at a stop sign and would not even spin the tires pinging was back and it was a dog under a load. Back to the dealer and now IM picking up my loaner car while they wait for the tech from the School of hard knocks to inspect it. Well the tech had it for a week and boiled it down to carbon build up. So they shot my heads with CRUSHED WALNUTS to break up the carbon. I never heard of this in my life. So I get the truck back stiull no balls and it still knocked. I pulled my plug out and it looked like a fuzz ball of carbon. Called dealer and truck went back got new plugs and was WALNUTTED again. Now the truck spin them off the line and has some get up and go. BUt now the pinging is back and I can see the power is starting to fade. Any answers out there???? MY truck has been at the dealer at least 10 times!!!!!!!

#2 ·
Silly question what grade of gas are you using? Too low of a grade or even bad gas will cause the pinging. Now, I would still question what was done on the truck itself. Considering that they supposedly decarbonized the engine/heads, but then you found the carbon build up.

Have they looked at the injectors? DId they clean them?

#3 ·
I have been using 87 OCTANE which the dealer told me to use. They said that the motor did not have a high combustion so I needed a lower grade fuel. So far they have shot me with walnuts three times and two times were some kinda additive that you had to drive at 3000 RPMS for period of of time.

#4 ·
Sounds to me like they're trying to give you a band-aid type solution to get your truck past the 36,000 mile warranty. The newer Rangers are notorious for preignition problems and Ford continues to dodge the problem. If everything else were working properly there is ABSOLUTELY no way to get that kind of carbon buildup in such a short period of time. I find it very hard to believe that they have pulled the heads three times to remove the carbon buildup when the plugs themselves were covered in carbon as well. If they were taking the time to remove the cylinder heads it stands to reason that they wouldn't overlook the bad plugs. They're not telling you the whole story and they are obviously not taking care of the problem.

I would tend to agree that the problem is fuel related. An injector stuck open can cause the excessive carbon buildup you're describing. I've also seen a similar problem caused by a vandal dumping sugar into the gas tank. Made any "friends" lately?

Whatever the cause, the mechanics are either dumber than dirt or you're not getting the whole story. Considering they are Ford mechanics, I would tend to favor the latter.

Good luck!

#5 ·
Hey-

I was having similar problems....could the pinging also be described as a rough idle....feels like you are in a diesel at times?

I have 2003 Ford Ranger Edge. I have a rough idle and loss of power. I took it to the dealer in Ontario Calif and they say that the two cylinder heads are bad due to #'s 3 5 and 6 misfiring or something. THEY say that this has been a problem in quite a few 03 and 04 Rangers (they have diff ones in the 05 and up models). THEY say that if I have the heads replaced it turns this back into an old reliable Ranger. I have a 15% loss of power and it cuts out around 60mph. Check Engine light remains on solid.

To fix this is $2600.00 at the dealer. Takes two days. Looking for reliable outside mechanic that maybe is a little less expensive. Have 64k miles on it. The main oil seal is now leaking as well. I paid the thing off already and am now wondering if it is worth it to fix it or if I ought to buy something new...

Tiffany

PS never heard of crushed walnuts but the heavy duty guys did look at mine too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.