Discontinued Ranger? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 09:44   #1 (permalink)

Discontinued Ranger?

Ok, Ive heard the rumors that Ford is discontinuing the Sport Trac or the Ranger and replacing it with the F-100. Now I hear those plans have also been scrapped and the Ranger will be reintroduced as a full four-door truck to compete with other compact pick-ups. Any update as to what is going on?

Im looking to sell my current Ranger(btw, best vehicle I have ever owned) b/c I need four doors. Dont know if I should pursue the Sport Trac if its going to be discontinued, or just wait it out until the new Ranger makes its debut in the US.

Thoughts?
scrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 00:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: Discontinued Ranger?

I'd wait for the new Ranger. I doubt if Ford would discontinue it altogether. You'll have current technology and your resale won't suffer so much. A little trivia for those of you who weren't around in '83. As you know, the F100 was the only half ton Ford made for many years. When unleaded fuel was required for cars and light trucks around 1974, 3/4 tons (F250)and above were exempt and could use leaded gas. There was a need for a half ton with a sufficient GVW (6500?) to qualify for the exemption. One example was fleets that fueled their own larger trucks wanted to be able to fuel their pickups onsite. Enter the F150. Ford continued to make the F100 until if was phased out around 1983 or when unleaded fuel went away and the F100 was redundant. The F150 became the standard bearer of the Ford half ton pickup. So now you know.
k9byte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 14:32   #3 (permalink)

News according to the front page of this forum:

"Production of the Ranger pickup truck will end next year, with Ford hoping buyers will move up to the F-150. If demand is sufficient, however, Ford might also look to introduce its upcoming global midsize truck platform (the new Ranger) to the U.S.

In an interview with PickupTrucks.com, Ford product boss Derrick Kuzak confirmed the Ranger was to be eliminated after an incredibly long production run, which has stretched over a decade. With most owners using their Rangers for commuter duty, Ford thinks the move to an F-150 won't be difficult. After all, the current 2.3-liter 4-cylinder Ranger gets 19/24 mpg, which is likely worse than what an F-150 equipped with Ford's new 3.7-liter V6 would get. While the use of the 3.7 in the F-150 is still unconfirmed, in the Mustang it gets an impressive 30 mpg.

According to Kuzak,the biggest issue with bringing over the new Ranger to the U.S. is how it would fit into the North American marketplace. "It's no secret we have a new Ranger coming globally. We're working on one for all the other markets in the world," said Kuzak to PickupTrucks.com. "The difference is that all o those other markets only have a Ranger. They don't have an F-150 above it."

In other words, Ford would not want to cannibalize sales of the top-selling F-150.

The Ford Ranger continues to be the second best selling compact pickup in the U.S., with 55,600 units moved last year. The Ranger is, however, a distant second to the Toyota Tacoma at 111,824 units."
jimbot58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 19:13   #4 (permalink)
canuck

The current 4cyl ranger with manual transmission gets 22/27 mpg with a combined rating of 24mpg. The new Ranger in 2012 will consist of a Euro spec truck: Spied: 2012 Ford Ranger - Ford Reports
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 13:08   #5 (permalink)

frown Re: Discontinued Ranger?

The main reason it's being discontinued is because of the Obama Administration and the new draconion EPA requirements. The new requirements include small pickups, i.e. the Ford Ranger and require 35.5 mpg. Not going to happen. Instead on incurring the fines from the EPA, Ford is instead discontinuing the model in the US only...
tim8w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum