Do I have a rear stabilizer? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-06, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2
Question Do I have a rear stabilizer?

Ok, I'm about to attempt my first shock replacement, and when I look up the parts for my 97 Ranger 4x4 I see all shocks are either "normal" or are for Rangers with either the "High Ryder" and/or "rear stabilizer" options. Since I have a regular 97 XL Ranger, I doubt there is anything "high ryder" about the suspension. I peered under the back looking for a sway bar, but didn;t see anything obvious. But, as you can tell, I'm new to Rangers, and trucks in general. In my Haynes manual there aren't any pics of a stabilizer, so I couldn't be sure. I've posted a couple pics of the underside of the truck. I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm that I don't have a sway bar so I can go ahead and get the right shocks...I'm still sitting on the factory shocks at 120,000 miles, so I'm in need here! Thanks for the help...


aweiss2k is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-06, 07:33 AM
Registered User
JohnnyO's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 214
Re: Do I have a rear stabilizer?

I think I see it in the first picture. Can't tell in the others. My 99 Ranger had a rear bar but my 02 didn't. Memory is fuzzy about what it looked like and where it was located. On my Sport Trac the bar goes behind the axle and you can see it easily.

'05 Sport Trac 4x4, L/S, torsion lift, extended shackles, 265's
'03 Taurus wagon, Silverstars, Yoko TRZ's
If you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
JohnnyO is offline  
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-06, 08:26 AM
Registered User
badgett's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mount Airy , N.C.
Age: 41
Posts: 40
Re: Do I have a rear stabilizer?

the two big brackets on the rear axle near the center are the stabilizer brackets. Should be a big bar attached to them that leads over to the frame rails on each side. By seeing the brackets in the pic I'm sure you have the stabilizer.
badgett is offline  
Sponsored Links

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome