EGR Problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 14:12   #1 (permalink)

EGR Problems

Hi, I have been having troubles with my 2001 3.0. Two weeks ago the check engine light came on and the motor started running rough at very light loads. I took the vehicle and had the fault code read and it showed bad EGR flow. I replaced the EGR valve reset the computer and about 150 miles later it has started all over again with the same code. Any suggestions as to what it might be?

Thanks,
Hoffmank
hoffmank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2006, 17:48   #2 (permalink)
Unregistered

Re: EGR Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmank
Hi, I have been having troubles with my 2001 3.0. Two weeks ago the check engine light came on and the motor started running rough at very light loads. I took the vehicle and had the fault code read and it showed bad EGR flow. I replaced the EGR valve reset the computer and about 150 miles later it has started all over again with the same code. Any suggestions as to what it might be?

Thanks,
Hoffmank
hi, i have a 2001 escape and i have the same exact prob. curious to find out if you found out how to fix the problem?
any suggestions?
Old 03-30-2006, 08:28   #3 (permalink)
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmank

Thanks,
Hoffmank
I had this problem with my '98 Ranger and I've heard that many Rangers have this problem. The "EGR flow insufficient" code is usually caused by a broken DPFE sensor. On my Ranger it was an aluminum box with two air hoses and a wire harness connected to it and it's mounted right on the front of the intake manifold. It must be the easiest part to replace on the whole truck. I think most people would recommend using a plastic replacement so it won't corrode.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:24   #4 (permalink)

I have a 2000 Ranger with the 3.0 and the dealer wants $110 to change my DPFE sensor. My Service Guy gave me part number F77Z 9J460 AB but in reading the info in the post where I think it is located, part number F7UE 9J460 AA is listed. Does anyone know if that is the correct part? I am experiencing the sluggish engine and the Check Engine light is on and per the local Auto parts Store the EGR Valve has insufficient flow? Any and all assistance is appreciated.
y2kfordtough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 16:22   #5 (permalink)

ok egr insufficent flow means you could have a bad egr valve and inside the intake manifold where the egr bolts on to could have carbon inside the channel. now the dpfe sensor thats located next to the manifold could be bad its vary possable but if the egr valve gets bad flow it could also mean that the cat. converter could also be bad you should get that tested you should have no more then 5lbs of back pressure at a idle from your o2 sensor hope this helps
steves66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 14:45   #6 (permalink)

on my wifes 96 explorer we had the same problem code, i replaced the egr valve and it went away for about a week, tested again it was the egr combined with the evap sensor, located directly on top of the egr valve, but at the same time her engine is a 5.0, not a 3.0. if that is it for a 3.0, it was about 30 dollar fix, and you only had to remove three bolts.
pillen140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 17:20   #7 (permalink)

i own a 1988 ford ranger with a 2.9 L motor and 5 speed trans in it . i be driving it and put the pedal to the metal and within 2 seconds,i get the light on to " check the motor " .would that be a EGR problem ? if i drive it at a easy speed, the light not come on.iam also wondering if the light also comes on,if the truck motor gets too hot?as my thermostates , is stuck closed .replacing on tuesday .if need to repalce parts,i going to tell the machanice to replace them thanks for any info .

Rick
icewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:31   #8 (permalink)

ice wolf, that doesnt sound like an egr problem to me. that could be a lot of things, any funny noises or power loss when this happens? i would have a mechanic look at it for sure
Old 09-02-2006, 11:08   #9 (permalink)

also check to see if an egr net is availible for your car, it is pretty much a gasket with a steel net to block carbon, so you clean it instead of replacing your expensive egr valve. and this happens to just about every ford, for some reason they always clog with carbon. i took my egr valve clean off my truck and it didnt do any thing to it, same fuel milage no running problems, but at the same time it is a 1986.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum