Good Start Bad start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2005, 19:16   #1 (permalink)

Good Start Bad start

Recenty, I've been having a problem with my 1997 Ranger 4 cyl, 75K miles, manual trans. Not every time, but once in a while, I'll start it, and it won't "catch"; runs and stalls. I can drive it but can't let it get to a low rpm (below normal idle) or it'll quit. Most of the time it'll start like normal and idle on it's own. Drives just fine.
Today was bad, it was very wet out if that matters (can't remember the other times) Tomorrow AM it may start just fine.
I'm not sure where to look.
By the way, seems like no amount of driving clears it up when it's running bad.
Any hints welcome,
Thanks,
Jamie
http://www.cartoonstrips.com
cartoonstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2005, 20:41   #2 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

Re: Good Start Bad start

rofl driving wont clear it up, problems only get worse, i think its fair to say a good tune up might be overdue?
not just the oil man, spark plugs o2 sensor air filter fuel filter, sparkplug wires maybe even a fuel pump among other things
More details are needed about how it stauls such as temp conditions heat w/e,

Otherwise if it has normal good operation with all power and just suks at other times, u proly got an error code a sensor faliure etc etc
do u get a check engine light and sum times does it feel like it switches into another "mode"
Cronicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 18:57   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, The only time the check engine light comes on is when it stalls. I put in a new air filter tonight but did not cure the problem (really needed one anyhow) Have the new plugs, but I'll do that tomorrow.
No clue why it is capable of running like a champ sometimes, and the next time won't hold it's idle rpm and dies out.
Yesterday was really wet, then the weather dried out and got really cold. It hasn't run right during either condition.
I'll try the plugs tomorrow, Friday I'll have a chance to get some other tune-up parts installed.

Luckily, My Wife is out of town and I can drive her car.

Jamie.
Old 11-16-2005, 21:04   #4 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

theres no way you can explane more about how it runs shity does it feel like a fuel cut, incificient spark, sensor problems? At the same time its good to replace those old parts but dont throw to much money in it as sum 1 should have a good idea of the problem and posted already,
after u get ur plugs in if its the same next step id go towards the o2 sensor/egr setup
Cronicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 13:43   #5 (permalink)

Well the new plugs and wires are in. Didn't solve the problem. It runs fine as long as you keep the rpm up; at idle and above (it won't idle on it's own).
Gonna go get a 02 sensor, EGR and fuel filter. Hoping one of these does the trick.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2005, 13:57   #6 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

replace the parts 1 at a time, and see how it runs after, so u can find out what exactly it is.
otherwise im about 100% shure if it cant idle its gona be sumthing from the fuel pump to the injectors or the dist cap to the plugs.
if al;l else fails disconect the sensor on the headtemp
and try and start, what happens?
Old 11-19-2005, 19:37   #7 (permalink)

It wasn't the fuel filter (but I'm sure I needed a new one anyhow). That's all I managed to get done tonight. I was asked "which 02 sensor I needed" - I imagine the one before the catylitic converter? Haven't bought the 02 or EGR yet - or fuel pump. Will continue tomorrow.
(I've heard a couple times that without a "check engine" light on, I shouldn't have to worry about the 02 and EGR)?
I may look tomorrow to see if can bump up the idle just so I can drive it easier next week (used to be able to adjust idle, don't know if you can with the newer engines)

Thanks again.

Jamie
http://www.cartoonstrips.com
Old 11-20-2005, 15:03   #8 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

which o2 sensor , lol bolth of course and right witout a check engine light light thats not gona be the problem, more then likley
try adjusting the idle pin a lil more open, maybe run sum decarbonnizer who knows, if it fells like its switching to a completly different run mode when it goes into halfa** mode, pull over and disconnect the sensor on the headtemp see how it runs.
even if it runs right, reconect the sensor as ur fan might not come on
if it runs right replace that sensor and move on
is it staying about normal temp?
if that dont do it i would move on to the pickup coil, dist-cap, dist-rotor,
ignition module.
and in that order.
just for kicks go get a product called seafoam run it through a vacume line that feed all cilinders .
btw man have u though about fuel injector cleaner yet?
Old 11-20-2005, 18:42   #9 (permalink)

I turned the idle pin in all the way and it idles now. In fact it drives normal at the moment. Also put in some injector cleaner.

It may have been because it came out of a damp garage but it seemed like there was an awful lot of water dripping from the catylitic converter while it idled in the driveway.

Thanks for you help so far - we'll see how it acts this week going to work and back.

Jamie.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:10   #10 (permalink)

Jamie, water dripping from the exhaust is nothing to worry about unless your coolant is disappearing, glad it's running better but if problem comes back, you may want to check and see if your model has an idle sensor, or throttle position sensor.
mtneer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum