hard starting 4.0 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2006, 19:18   #1 (permalink)

hard starting 4.0

Hi all,

My 99, 4.0 ranger has a hard time starting when its cold out and it has sit over night. I usally have to crank it twice until it will start and when it dose start it hesitates a little and then idles fine. I have replaced the idle air control and the fuel filter. The engine runs good and strong. Could bad plugs and wires cause hard starting? Any Ideas:

thanks,

mike
mike0179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2006, 04:17   #2 (permalink)

Re: hard starting 4.0

Any one?

This is a returning probem. I bought the truck in october snd it had the same problem plud it would idle rough and die. I cganged the iac and it solved the problem. the truck would start in the coldest conditions, but now it returned minus the idle problems. On tuseday it was about 40 degrees out and it fired instanly.
Old 12-27-2006, 15:31   #3 (permalink)
Always the student

Since you said it runs good and strong, I wouldn't suspect plugs or wires. Probably a sensor, but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone will be here soon with some advice. Good luck
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:56   #4 (permalink)

any Ideas? Im thunking it is a sensor problem because if it is warmer out it will fire right up. I wouldnt think if it were a fuel delivery problem because of that. However I just changed the fuel filter, if it was leaking could it cause the problem. Are there any experts here who can help.
thanks
Old 01-01-2007, 12:32   #5 (permalink)

Well, I was told to go out in the morning before starting the pick up see if there was still pressure at the rail by pressing he pressure release. When I checked it there was no pressure untile I checked it with the key on.
What could be the most likely cause? Could it be the fuel filter leaking after the man cchanged it.
Old 01-01-2007, 13:18   #6 (permalink)
Always the student

If the fuel filter was leaking, it would be an external leak and you would see or smell it. They are probably talking about the fuel injectors leaking down.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 17:15   #7 (permalink)

Well, im still having a hard time starting the truck after it has sat overnight. Once it starts it only hesitates for a second at the most and idles pefectly. The weird thing is I can go t work for nine hours go out and it will fire right up, and its just as cold. the other day it was warmer out (34 degrees) and it fired right up. Like I mentioned before ther are no driveability problems what so ever, and the gas mileage hasnt changed. Could a sensor cause this?
I heard it could be the upper intake gasket leaking when cold, but My truck idles perfect as soon as it starts. Thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 18:16   #8 (permalink)

Any more ideas?
Old 01-11-2007, 09:47   #9 (permalink)
issuer of free advice

something in the fuel system. might have a leak some where or bad valve in the fuel pump. or what ever keeps the fuel from flowing back into the tank when the engine is shut off.

consider this. when you change a fuel filter you have to turn it over twice. once to prime the system and the other to actually start it. sounds exactly like what you discribe.
mre_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:52   #10 (permalink)

I would try turning the key to the on posistion, wait about 7 secs or so..Let the fuel pump to the motor and try..Let me know if that helps..
spike6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum