Ford Forums banner

Headlight plug keeps frying

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  '92BigBronco 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i drive a 98 ranger xlt and i have a problem with my headlights. about a month or so ago my driverside headlight was acting funny, it would turn on, but it wasnt as bright as the other side. i do use some HID lightbulbs by the way. anyway, it wasnt as bright, but if i wiggled the wires on the plug, it would get brighter, back to normal brightness. well this got worse, to the point where i couldnt get it to get bright anymore. so i pulled the bulb out and the plug was like fried or something, it was all white and charcoal colored, and it looked burned, when i touched it, it practically disintigrated in my hand. so i replaced the plug with a new plug and pigtail assembly. well about a week ago, it started do it again, on the same side, and it looks like its burning. are they bulbs too much? or is it a bad ground? or could it be from my recent rainstorm puddle bogging? im going to have to replace it again, but i dont want to keep doing it, so if anyone has any comments, suggestions, or any help at all, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

#2 ·
I would try replacing the plug and running it with the old bulbs for a while to see if the aftermarket bulbs are the problem. I would bet they're the cause....but you can't know for sure until you eliminate a possible wiring problem as the cause and not the bulbs themselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.