Help Changing brakes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2006, 10:43   #1 (permalink)

confused Help Changing brakes

I need to change the brakes on his truck. My husband is on active duty for the army. I KNOW I can do this! I tried to get a manual from the parts store and they didn't have any left (small town)

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

It is a 86 Ford Ranger XLT - no 4-wheel drive it is a basic truck - I believe ABS and it does have power steering. I don't know what information is needed to help me with this.

Thanks for any help or suggestions on how to.

Kim
jnkwooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2006, 20:27   #2 (permalink)

Re: Help Changing brakes

go to libary and see if got a hanes auto book or a good auto book on a 86 ford ranger and follow what it saids and also do one side at a time ,so you can look at the other side not taken apart. that way a person knows how it goes back together and also need a second person to help pump the air out the lines after its all done.p.s need a good set of jack stands to hold front or back up while taking tires off . it allso be a good ideal to get the back drums turned if doing the back brakes .turned as in getting them resurfaced . check over the hardware to see if any need replacing.a.k.a springs , rods . see if the wheel cylinder is leaking or not .plus need a set of brake tools . as for i and my brother ,we use screwdriver and a pliers,lol but i would go with a good set of brake tools that are design to remove the brakes.as for the front ,it easer to do than backs less work on front and more in back.hope this helps you out. but i would go to libary or a atou store and pick up a book on a ranger in your year and follow it close to replace the brakes.
icewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 20:28   #3 (permalink)

p.s srry forgot you said the store not have the book,also check the net out and see if have any sites on it .
Old 07-25-2006, 00:42   #4 (permalink)

Hello,

I would not recomend learning about cars with your brakes. How do you know they need replacing ? there should be courses you can do, and if you know of a garage you trust, ask if they mind if you watch while they do it. This will avoid having your vehicle stuck in your drive not going, and you can see what needs to be done. Most blokes will be happy to show you, and they may feel a bit pleased ( by your interest) and do it for a good price.

Weazle
Weazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:24   #5 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Sounds scary to me. Please take it to a shop :)
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 16:05   #6 (permalink)

cool Re: Help Changing brakes

how doea a person knows ,brakes need changing ?? easy no stop need brakes,but by that time its too late .there can be a lot of sign that brakes are need replacing . like brakes feel soft ,pedal to floor , more than before or the easy way to tell is get some person to look at it and see if need changing,but of course,a person open one selve to being ripped off .i was told my ranger need brakes,i told the person,i check them out,all they needed was a set up and they work fine,have at least 3 inches of pad left front and back . have to be carefull not taken for a ride . chow
Old 08-02-2006, 09:26   #7 (permalink)

ice wolf are you sure you have 3 inches of pad? ive never seen any pads with more than an inch and a half. jnkwooten i would look at autozones web site they have a pretty good do it your self site. i wouldnt use their brake parts though. i used them once and they burn up when ever you go down a hill. everyones got to learn some where
pillen140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum