Help Finding the Source of Squeeling/Squeeking in Engine - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 12:38   #1 (permalink)

Help Finding the Source of Squeeling/Squeeking in Engine

I have been listening to a squeeling/chirping noise in the front of my engine for a few months now. I can't take it anymore. If I have to listen to this thing squeel much longer, I am going to lose my mind.

I looked under the hood to try and find the source of the problem (on several occasions). Believe it or not, I can't pinpoint the source. It's loud enough that it sounds like it could be coming from anywhere along the Serpentine Belt.

I took it by a Ford Shop today, and they are going to charge me $95 to figure it out for me...No thanks. I would like to figure this one out myself.

Can someone help me pinpoint where this noise is coming from? Here are some facts that will hopefully help identify the problem.

1. I just replaced the idler arm and serpentine belt about 6 months ago. Unless I did something wrong there, I don't think that's what it is.

2. The screech is louder and more consistent when the engine is cold, and when it is raining/wet outside.

3. Once the engine warms-up, the sound is just every now and again. Not constant.

4. The sound speeds-up while revving the engine or going at high speeds (I know...the serpentine belt is turning faster, so the sound is faster).

5. I don't think it's leaking any water, so I'm pretty sure it's not the Water Pump.

6. The weather here is about 60 degrees right now, so I can't tell whether the air conditioner is working or not...thus I can't rule out the A/C Compressor yet.

Any help identifying the source of this sound so I can get in there and fix it would be greatly appreciated. AC.
acleme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2009, 12:57   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Help Finding the Source of Squeeling/Squeeking in Engine

What year & engine?

Try removing the serpentine belt and briefly start the engine & see if the noise is gone.

While the belt is off give each pulley a spin and see if you can hear anything out of the ordinary.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 13:50   #3 (permalink)

'96 Ranger 3.0 Liter V6

thanks jwko. i found a post basically saying the same thing as you suggested:

Helpful thread, for squeak, squeal, chirp noise from under hood, engine compartment - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts Serious Explorations
acleme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 15:43   #4 (permalink)

im a tech at a ford dealer and we see this all the time if its not the belt it the cam sicronizer it sqeaks real bad when it is worn buy the sincro and sensor make sure you mark were it sits because if it is not lined up properly when installing it it will not run
bigjim2521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum