!!HELP!! Speedometer in 99 Ranger not working... - Page 2 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-07, 08:51 PM

confused Re: !!HELP!! Speedometer in 99 Ranger not working...

Well, from what I found, the ABS sensor is the only thing that drives the speedo and the mileage counter.

You might double check that the wiring isn't damaged at all. Assuming that is fine, then you might have a larger problem inside the differential itself. I'd check your wiring just to be on the safe side, and then contact a local dealer. Maybe ask them for some tips.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but best of luck to you!

joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-07, 05:33 PM
smg

Re: !!HELP!! Speedometer in 99 Ranger not working...

Wiring harness rubbed through just in front of the diff. Worn through down to the copper on one of the wires. Harness had no real slack. Some cutting and pasting and it is fixed and all seems to be working properly.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-07, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by learsi1
HI Everyone. My name is Israel and am in San Antonio, TX I drive a '99 Ford Ranger 6 cyl and my speedometer is not working and the ABS light and check Engine light are on. Does anyone know how to fix this and will it cost a lot of money? Also since the speedometer is not working...the odometer is not working nor is the cruise control...due to the speed meter not working. Someone please help.
there is a fuse in the fuse panel by the drivers door that controls the speedometer ,wipers and dome light. at least there is in my 2001 mazda b3000. hope this helps

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 09:21 PM

I had this problem with my 99 ranger I changed the ABS wheel sensor on the rear diff and it fixed it.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-11, 10:50 PM

Success Story Re: !!HELP!! Speedometer in 99 Ranger not working...

Hi All,

Thanks to all for the solution--it worked great for me. I'm registering just to report my success.

My 99 Ranger 3.0 RWD with 91K miles showed the same symptoms--speedometer stopped working, "ABS" & "OD off" & "Check Engine" lights lit, transmission shifted rough and at wrong speeds. I got the Vehicle Speed Sensor from AutoZone for $18, replaced it on the top center of the rear diff housing, and my life is jelly.

WD-40 and patient wiggling got the old sensor out. The only snag was getting the wiring connector reattached--until I realized I had *both* the new and old blue plastic gaskets in there. Oops! With one it clicked on like it should.

Again, thanks to all--you solved my problem.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-11, 06:35 PM
2002 F150 XLT

Glad it helped and thanks for registering to let us know.

Bert
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-11, 04:30 PM

Mazda 1999 B4000SE truck 84k mi. I was driving on cruise control and suddenly cruise and speedometer went out. Next ABS light was on and noticed odometer stopped working. After getting off the turnpike, "Check Engine" light came on. 1st thing I thought was the Mazda Cruise Control Recall work they did a year ago. Went to the dealer and they said it would cost $130 per hour to diagnose the problem because their warranty is 1 yr. Good thing I said I need to think about it and read this forum.

Question: Is there any chance the speedometer problem is due to cruise control cable they put in?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-11, 05:19 PM

99 Ranger XLT 3.0l Flex Fuel Manual 2wd. Same problem. New sensor fixed it. I ran into a problem getting the old sensor out. It's plastic cover split off where the o-ring groove is molded into the sensor, leaving the plastic 'cup' in the hole in the diff. I ended up buying a set of snap ring pliers that operate opposite of normal pliers... they spread open when you sqeeze the handles. I used a dremel to grind a set of 'teeth' on the outer edge of the working end. By inserting this improvised tool into the plastic cup in the hole, squeezing, I was able to carefully wiggle it out.

Worst case scenario, the cover would have gone into the diff and been eaten up by the gears. I can't imagine this would be good for things, yet I don't think it would result in immediate catastrophic damage.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-11, 01:02 PM

Ditto on most of these experiences.

I have a complication and it's solution to add. When I removed the speed/ABS sensor from the differential, in twisting and pulling and rocking it, I managed to break the plastic cover of the sensor clean off in the hole in the diff.

My solution: I went to the local hardware and got a pair of snap-ring pliers, the kind whose jaws open as you squeeze the handles. The ones I got came with several different working tips, and were made by 'Duracraft'. I used a Dremel grinder to grind a 'tooth' on the outer edge of the tips. Inserting this into the plastic cover, still stuck in the hole in the diff., I was able to wiggle the cover out. It took a little effort and force, so I would have been fighting that battle for a long time had I not improvised this tool. Either that or I would have broken the plastic cover up and pushed it into the diff. to be eaten up by the gears... not the preferred option.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapteeth.jpg (16.0 KB, 17 views)
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-16, 09:16 AM

I had the same exact problem with my 1999 ranger xlt, for anybody that has this problem in the future I found this video and it helped to fix my speedometer, o/d and my tranny shifting funny cheaply. real cheap.
https://youtu.be/jWqToyTxvnE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum