HELP!! With tranny - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2003, 15:54   #1 (permalink)

confused HELP!! With tranny

I put my truck in drive and it naturally goes forward, i put my truck in neutral and it goes forward just like drive, i put my truck in reverse and it goes forward just like drive? What the hell is going on???
ss_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2003, 19:56   #2 (permalink)

Re: HELP!! With tranny

Is this after the problems you had with the clutrch or is this different truck
89F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 21:57   #3 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

i have no idea what is causing you problems but it definetly needs to be taken to a dealer for service and possibly a rebuild.
did you ever get any codes flashed at you when this thing acts up?
is it an electronic shift trans?
sounds sorta like a stuck valve or shorted selinoid.

Last edited by 351w; 11-06-2003 at 22:01.
351w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 05:34   #4 (permalink)

This is the same truck, i just thought i would take if for a ride yesterday, i took it to auto zone, but it isn't throughing any codes for the computer to pick up? Even thought it is an automactic would it still have a "linkage"??? I'm from PA anyone know any good places to get tranny rebuilds done (western Pa)?
Old 11-07-2003, 16:17   #5 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

yes there is a linkage on the side of the tranny that is connected to your shift lever.
it also controls when the backup lights come on as far as i know.
does your backup lights come on when the shifter is in reverse ?
if not then there is the problem.
Old 11-07-2003, 18:46   #6 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

also i live in PA but the in central region and i have a good trans tech friend that fixes up my tranny's that need service.
so i cant recommend any other places in PA other than my friends garage and with him being a certified tech i need not look any further.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:18   #7 (permalink)

How do i even know what kind of tranny i have, i looking in my owers manual and everthing, i can't find a thing, would it say on my door with like the air psi, etc.? Once i find out, think i could r & r myself (well with some help from friends)?
Old 11-08-2003, 13:00   #8 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

It sounds like the linkage is gone, but it could be even more......but without digging into it I would not be able to tell you anything more. Seeing that you have a 99 I would say you have the 5R55E , which is just a bigger A4LD that has been updated as a 5 speed and beefed up a tad.

I would also assume that you have just fallen out of warranty, that is if you have the 3yr/36k. A replacement is around 1900 with a 400 core from Ford. I rebuilt would be a little less. A rebuild would be a little cheaper. Since you have the issues as above I would only assume that there is other issues within the tranny itself that will need to be addressed.

If you do go and get a shop to rebuild it first and foremost, do not let a shop do a soft parts fix only. This being clutches, servos, and bands. This will almost ensure that you will have another repair needed right after the 1-year warranty is out. Other things you want to have replaced are: forward one-way clutch, overdrive drum (stamped tin, replace if out of round or heat damaged), pump (use Ford only, rebuilds are prone to failure), and the converter the one with the improved lock-up clutch and brazed fins.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 14:25   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the help guys, i'm calling getting prices on new and rebuilt tranny's, i think i'm gonna end up with a rebuilt, it is cheaper and i really don't want to sink alot of money into it cuz i'm going to be getting rid of it! Thanks for letting me know what to watch out for, will keep u updated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum