i think my engine overheated extremly - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 20:03   #1 (permalink)

i think my engine overheated extremly

i was driving down the road and noticed my temperture gauge was in the red, i slowed down to pull over and it went all the way down to cold, i was only 1/2 mile from home so i eased a long, when i pulled in it died, so i opened the hood, the engine was smoking a little, and the water in the radiator was bubbling, ilet it cool for a while and went out to crank it, it crunk up but was running roughly, i changed the plugs and it still ran rough , now its hard to crank, any suggestions? should i check my head or something more simple first?
chopperhed65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 20:52   #2 (permalink)
issuer of free advice

Re: i think my engine overheated extremly

most likely a blown head gasket. pull the head get it checked by a machine shop. replace gasket. do an oil change to remove contaminated oil. check compression and start it up let it warm up just to see if the water pump works and then call it a day.
mre_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 21:41   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperhed65
i was driving down the road and noticed my temperture gauge was in the red, i slowed down to pull over and it went all the way down to cold, i was only 1/2 mile from home so i eased a long, when i pulled in it died, so i opened the hood, the engine was smoking a little, and the water in the radiator was bubbling, ilet it cool for a while and went out to crank it, it crunk up but was running roughly, i changed the plugs and it still ran rough , now its hard to crank, any suggestions? should i check my head or something more simple first?
wait a couple of hours , then start the motor THEN fill with green stuff , take it for a 10 minutes drive
Still rough ?
pull the b+ battery lead for 20 minutes and try starting again
still rough ?
well either you have some ignotion problem or the head gsk is dead .. I cant hear the car so it's only a guess , get the compression checked next after cleaning the plugs and get back to us .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 22:32   #4 (permalink)
issuer of free advice

check the oil if it is milky. blown head gasket. unless you want a worse engine dont drive it . and a compression test will confirm there is a hole of some sort in the cylinders but it wont show weather it is a blown head gasket or a dead ring. or a burned piston.
mre_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:20   #5 (permalink)

i went out this morning, took off the positive cablefor 20 min, went back to crank it and it took a couple times but it crunk after patting the accelerator. the check engine light remained off, but as long as i kept the accelorator pressed about 1/4 of the way it ran perfect, if i try to let it idle it runs horrible,and dies, still not throwing a code into the computer.
chopperhed65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum