I want more power - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2006, 19:22   #1 (permalink)

I want more power

More horse and more torque.

I've read about mass airflow chips that increase HP by about 10. I can't find anything other than the JET Performance chip, which is $240.

Cold air intake. Any recommendations/suggestions?

Headers?

K&M air filter supposedly increase HP.

What about a performance thermostat?

I've read, read, and read. I even read where I guy turbocharged it out to 400 HP. I don't really want to turbocharge it (too pricey). I've read about performance camshafts. I've read about porting out the heads. I've done all this reading, and can't find any makers of the stuff they are talking about like the mod chips.

I've got a 91 Ranger 2.3L 5 speed. Everything's stock right now.

By no means is this going to be a drag car. I just want a few more HP, here and there. That 4 cylinder really starts bogging down going up these WV hills, especially carry any kind of a load. I know a guy that dropped a 351 in a 91 Ranger and uses it in Stock Modified drags. I'm not going for that. I would just like to increase HP and low-end torque. I'm also using a half 87, half 89 fuel mix when I fill up and it hasn't helped much.

Any suggestions?
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2006, 23:22   #2 (permalink)

Re: I want more power

The most bang for your buck would be to lower your rear axle ratio. Check to see what ratio you have now, I had one here with a 3.08:1 ring and pinion, it was ok on the highway but a real slug around town. I swapped in 3.55:1 and it felt like I added 4 cylinders. With the 5 speed you have some room to play, depending on what percentage of your driving is out on the open highway and what is in the hills. Knowing WV roads, I would go with the lower gears. Stay with a factory available ratio, and correcting your speedo will be as simple as a speedo gear swap as well. Some of the 4x2 trucks really came with some tall gears, I own a '94 that's geared like that, so much so that first gear feels like it should be second, but it gets 25mpg, so I live with the lack of power, plus the roads are pretty flat here.
I am not a fan of those add on chips, it always seems like you gain in one area, but lose in another. I also own a 91 4x2 longbed, it runs circles around my 94, but its got a 3.73:1 rear axle ratio vs. a 3.08:1 gear. factory ratios used in the Ranger were ; 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.45, 3.73, and 4.10:1. You could either replace your existing ring and pinion, or find a good used rear wit the ration you want. keep in mind that they did make and sell a 4.10:1 rear in many 4x4's so there's little worry about going to low. but also keep in mind that 4x4 trucks used a larger tire with that ratio, so it will be actually much lower if your running stock 14" wheels.
reelworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:37   #3 (permalink)

Re: I want more power

Hey i got a 98 Ford Ranger 2.5L 4 cylinder. And i noticed that you said that you knew a guy who turbocharged a ranger and got about 400HP from it. Well thats what im wanting to do to my ranger, so if you could or do you know where the guy got his turbo kits because I can't find turbo kits for ranger's anywhere, so can you please help me out?
amill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum