Ford Forums banner

I'm in the fing carb twilight zone!

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
I have a 1985 ranger with the 2.8 carb. My muffler caught on fire when the guy welded on the new one, so its obviously getting too much gas. Plus it runs like garbage and gets 15 MPG. I can't find the mixture screw(s), I can't find out where they are on the internet, and I bought a manual that doesn't tell me where the F they are!!!!!:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: So I need help.

#2 ·
If memory serves me correctly, some carbs used to have a "cover" or "cap" you used to have to pop or break out to get access to the adjustment screw. I'm not usre if yours has one, but the adjustment should be at the front and probably near the base.
Good luck!

thefonz

#6 ·
They're made of plastic so they could be broken off. If you look at the picture JWKO posted you'll see the enrichment valve that goes in the bottom of the carb. It has a "rubber" diaphragm that eventually breaks and you'll get poor mileage and running problems. It's probably due for an overhaul.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.