inertia switch is driving me crazy - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 12:41   #1 (permalink)

inertia switch is driving me crazy

okay, I bought the truck brand new in 05. It's an 05 Ford Ranger Edge with the 4.0 liter v6.
one day, while driving here in LA some idiot cut me off and i slammed on my brakes to avoid hitting him. Immediately following this my truck just died on me. I happened to be stuck in front of an auto repair shop (ironic) and the guy informed me of this little switch that cuts the gas off in case of an accident.

WELL, ever since then my truck has days where the switch constantly goes off for no apparent reason. Last night was the last draw, when I was on the freeway and my truck goes dead leaving me with barely any steering and locking the breaks (you can still stop with enough force applied) in the middle of the freeway!!!! I was pretty freaked out, cause had there not been an exit I would've been the cause for a stopped freeway (if not an accident).

I figured this out: it's not the actual switch that's getting tripped but the housing part on the bottom that seems to be falling apart. I know this because if I push the switch up (from the bottom) I can feel it click into place. The minute I let go, the truck dies on me. I'm going to rig it with electrical tape for now, but this is just frustrating.

A feature that's supposed to "save" lives shouldn't be the very reason why you're in a high speed situation with barely any control of your car!!!! Very dangerous.

Anyone else having this problem??
sortofanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2007, 07:51   #2 (permalink)
issuer of free advice

Re: inertia switch is driving me crazy

nope first i heard of this. you can either replace it or bypass it. (i would bypass it) but you might like the safety feature of a properly functioning one. up to you.
mre_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 00:17   #3 (permalink)

eek Re: inertia switch is driving me crazy

Actually, I have the same problem on MY truck! Whats wierding me out is My Ranger is ALSO an 05 Edge, but mine is a 3.0 V6. The inertia switch first went off in a parking lot when i was riding with my friend and we thought he had kicked it or something. (some guys looked at it and figured it out for us.) After this, the same thing happened with my truck at random for no reason at all, and this time I was driving alone. And just like you, i was on my way to work on the freeway when my switch went off. i was able to pull off and park at a parking lot (A Harley Davidson Shop) and the inertia switch stopped resetting. it would not start. i had actually called AAA to send a tow truck... lucky for me one of the bike mechanics took a look and found the same thing happened to my switch. The bottom part was falling apart, and my truck probably doesnt have much time left before I have to rig it with electrical tape like you did. So this is the last straw. After weighing my options i'm probably going to visit the dealer tomorrow, I hear the switch is only 20-40 bucks.
ashfoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 21:32   #4 (permalink)

Re: inertia switch is driving me crazy

inertia switch is driving me crazy<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<HR style="COLOR: #999999" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->okay, I bought the truck brand new in 05. It's an 05 Ford Ranger Edge with the 4.0 liter v6.
one day, while driving here in LA some idiot cut me off and i slammed on my brakes to avoid hitting him. Immediately following this my truck just died on me. I happened to be stuck in front of an auto repair shop (ironic) and the guy informed me of this little switch that cuts the gas off in case of an accident.

WELL, ever since then my truck has days where the switch constantly goes off for no apparent reason. Last night was the last draw, when I was on the freeway and my truck goes dead leaving me with barely any steering and locking the breaks (you can still stop with enough force applied) in the middle of the freeway!!!! I was pretty freaked out, cause had there not been an exit I would've been the cause for a stopped freeway (if not an accident).

I figured this out: it's not the actual switch that's getting tripped but the housing part on the bottom that seems to be falling apart. I know this because if I push the switch up (from the bottom) I can feel it click into place. The minute I let go, the truck dies on me. I'm going to rig it with electrical tape for now, but this is just frustrating.

A feature that's supposed to "save" lives shouldn't be the very reason why you're in a high speed situation with barely any control of your car!!!! Very dangerous.

Anyone else having this problem??

Personally I wouldn't bypass this switch, it was designed to shut the electric fuel pump off in an accident. I would suggest replaceing it and you're problems will go away, and you have restored the safety feature per the original design.

Good luck..... Chongo.. <!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum