Inertia Switch Service Bulletin 2005 Ranger Edge - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 17:42   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Inertia Switch Service Bulletin 2005 Ranger Edge

My son bought an '05 Ranger Edge two weeks ago, certified used from our local Ford dealership.
On the eighth day of ownership, the inertia switch activated with the touch of my foot.
We had it towed to the dealership where they promptly reset the switch and sent him on his way.
Here it is 15 days into ownership and I was able to duplicate the failure without trying. This time under controlled circumstances and not in the middle of traffic.
So back to the dealer. Now we are talking about swapping the vehicle under the 30 day exchange clause. They say they will look into the situation deeper...
The service manager at the dealership has just called to say that there is a service bulletin that relocates the inertia switch. Funny, he made it a point to show me there were NO service bulletins to that effect just two hours ago. They have performed the service and the vehicle is ready to go.
Would you put your son or daughter in the vehicle? Is that specific and unnecessary risk of inadvertant switch activation completely eliminated?
Where did you hide the switch, man?
JFSebastion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2011, 06:10   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Inertia Switch Service Bulletin 2005 Ranger Edge

See if problem eliminated after relocating the inertia switch . Should be easy to check as you say " was able to duplicate the failure without trying " If o.k problem solved , if not back to dealer .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:27   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I looked and couldn't find any service bulletin calling for relocation of the switch.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 18:10   #4 (permalink)

Garage

I figured I was being fed a line...
I was told it was a fresh service bulletin. A kit that included a new switch, wiring harness or adapter to reach the new location, and trim panel.
I haven't seen where they located the switch yet. Where did they get this kit from? They only had the trcuk a couple hours, not enough time to order any parts as specific as they are telling me.
Today my son tells me that the vent position switch doesnt' work. The blower is stuck in defrost windshield and won't change to dash vent or floor vent as selected. Worked fine before they screwed with the inertia switch wiring.
Could they have inadvertantly done something to disable the vent selector?
Old 01-21-2011, 19:27   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Probably knocked a vacuum line off.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:08   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Came across this re. new switch .

Complaint Description
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM 1/16/2011 - LAKELAND, FL
FUEL SHUT OFF SWITCH - THE WIRE HARNESS CONNECTING TO THE FUEL SHUT OFF SWITCH ARE MELTED. FORD REPLACED ONE OF THESE SWITCHES DURING MY WARRANTY PERIOD AND SINCE THEN I HAVE REPLACED THIS SWITCH TWICE. I NOW NOTICE THAT THE HARNESS CONNECTED TO THIS SWITCH HAS WIRES THAT ARE MELTED. THIS SWITCH HAS ACTIVATED NUMEROUS TIMES WHILE I HAVE BEEN DRIVING AND WHEN THIS HAPPENS THE VEHICLE FUEL IS INTERRUPTED AND VEHICLE STALLS. I HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN ON INTERSTATE 4 AND ON VARIOUS OTHER ROADS. I FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE THAT MY VEHICLE IS THE ONLY ONE THIS HAPPENS TO. I RECENTLY PICKED UP A NEW SWITCH WHICH HAS BEEN REVAMPED WITH AN ADDITIONAL WIRING HARNESS AND A NEW CONNECTION BRACKET. THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE OLD HARNESS THAT THIS WILL BE ATTACHED TO HAS BARE WIRES EXPOSED WITH NO INSULATION COVERING THEM. I AM CONCERNED THAT THIS CONSTITUTES A FIRE HAZARD. I HAVE SPOKEN TO THE FORD SERVICE DEPARTMENT IN LAKELAND, FL. BUT HAVE HAD NO REASONABLE EXPLANATION ON THIS PROBLEM.
Old 01-25-2011, 14:03   #7 (permalink)

Garage

I had the truck back to service dept today. The service manager took two minutes to sort the vacuum switch for the blower selector. Done. All I need now is to find out where they relocated the inertia switch in the event it needs resetting.
Old 01-25-2011, 14:18   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

Thought you would have asked where they relocated switch when you were back in service dept . Assume it must be o.k now as you have had it for a few days now since fitted ?
Old 01-25-2011, 17:28   #9 (permalink)

Garage

Oh, but I did ask. The service manager said he had no idea where they moved it and that I should talk to the other service manager who happened to have the day off. Apparently there are 3 "teams" and the guy who helped me today was from a different "team".
I took it to mean that this guy knew he wasn't "in on the secret" and probably should mind his own business before he slips and tells me that they ripped it out and threw it away...
Old 01-25-2011, 17:40   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm betting they didn't rip it out and throw it away. It's probably relocated to an area very close to its original location.

Have a look and see.

Quote:
This switch is located under the
right-hand side of the glove box,
just above the carpet.

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum