Intermittent Loss of Power - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 18:48   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Intermittent Loss of Power

Hey guys. This question is on behalf of my dad and his truck. He has a 1997 Ford Ranger with about 202K. It has the 2.3 Liter engine and a 5 speed manual. On long trips mostly after an extended period of driving the truck will lose gear and just rev high and hardly move. The truck can then sit for a couple hours and then it will be fine. He tends to think that it is related to heat. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2010, 20:32   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Intermittent Loss of Power

Does it jump out of gear or does the clutch start slipping?
Old 08-29-2010, 21:34   #3 (permalink)

Garage

My mom drove the truck from Minnesota to Indiana when it happened to her. Here is how she describes it to me: The clutch will start slipping like it's not grabbing all the way. The engine revs but the truck has a tough time getting up to speed and will only go so fast. The first time it happened, they pulled off on the side of the expressway in Illinois. They let the truck sit for about a half hour. It then drove fine for another 15 minutes. Then it happened again. Then, they let it sit for 2 hours and it has drove fine since without any hiccups even on the way back from Indiana from what I understand. She says that it seems to happen when the truck has been driven for a long period of time all at once. The truck is back in Minnesota now and my dad is driving it currently with no problems.

My dad says the clutch on this truck is controlled hydraulically not mechanically if that helps any. He seems to think it is a hydraulic issue, but I don't know. It just happens on long extended periods of driving.
Old 08-29-2010, 22:06   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I've not seen anything like that. Is there freeplay in the pedal at the top? If it holds down, maybe the fluid gets hot and expands, pushing the clutch some. The other thought is that the pressure plate is getting weak springs and when it gets hot, it doesn't hold the disc very good.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum