Looking for info on a 2004 4x4 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2004, 10:12   #1 (permalink)

Question Looking for info on a 2004 4x4

I am planning on buying a 2004 4x4 SuperCab, 5 speed manual Ranger with the added towing, in the next couple of months.
I was looking around for some information and found my self in this forum.
I have looked through the past four pages of posts and like the feel of this group.

I was wondering if any of you have suggestion or information you wish you know before you bought your Ranger.
Things to ask for or stuff to watch out for...

What is in the "Payload Package 2"?

Thanks for any and all help.
Type40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2004, 11:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: Looking for info on a 2004 4x4

Payload pkg #2 is simply heavier rear springs. FYI, Ranger towing capacity is much higher with an automatic. Stick is about 3300 lb I think and an auto is about 5500 lb. I've had both and I can tell you that 1st gear in a stick Ranger ain't all that low to get a load moving. Most state require trailer brakes over 2000 lb. and I think that's a good idea. The 4.0 runs like a raped ape but it does use a significant amount of gas, though a stick would be better than my automatic. The 4.0 SOHC engine is very "tight" when new and takes a good 10,000 miles to break in. Much Ranger-specific info at www.therangerstation.com .
http://www.cardomain.com/id/johnnyo
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 09:51   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the information.
Any idea why the there is a difference between the manual and auto?
They both have the same axle ratio, is the difference in the gears?

I am currently using a 92 Nissan 4x4 4 cylinder 5 speed manual, if nothing else the v6 will make a world of difference.

I noticed a lot of posts talking about Technical Service Bulletin, before I buy or before I run out of warranty should get them to do what’s listed in them?
Type40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 16:23   #4 (permalink)

Difference is that the auto has a torque convertor, so you can multiply the torque more as it slips more (in each gear actually). In a stick, your gear ratio is your gear ratio, and you can slip the clutch a little but you'll burn it out if you keep it up. Semi-trucks are virtually all sticks, but they're designed for pulling heavy loads and have anywhere from 13 to 20 gears too so there's always a right gear for what you need. There is a link for automatics on www.howstuffworks.com that can probably explain it better. If your trailer isn't real heavy and/or where you live is pretty flat, then a stick would be fine. Either way, don't tow in OD especially if it's shifting in and out of OD a lot. I have a jetski, full up ski and trailer is about 1100 lb., I towed it with my previous stick Ranger no problem.
Technical Service Bulletins are only for describing and fixing common problems that haven't made it to recall status yet.
If you're moving up to a 4.0 SOHC Ranger from a 4 cyl Nissan, all I can say is hang on, brother! Power corrupts. LOL.
Old 03-31-2004, 15:26   #5 (permalink)

cool Re: Looking for info on a 2004 4x4

I'm looking at a 2004 Edge 4L 4x4 Supercab Auto w/ limited slip, sliding rear window, tilt/cruise, in Grey. This will be my first new vehicle/truck. I'm only 5'7" and all I have is a dog so a full size truck doesn't appeal to me. I do a lot of camping, and have been using a 1990 Honda Civic DX Hatchback in 4x4 conditions since college. It'll be nice to have a vehicle that suits my needs. I'm looking forward to the purchase, but still have to go to a dealer as I recently decided I can afford a truck, and I've had my eyes on the Ranger since last summer.

Any thoughts?
Yellowknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 17:04   #6 (permalink)

My wife is about 5'5" and drives my truck fine. In my admittedly biased opinion, the Ranger is the finest small truck out there. Still, if it wasn't good I wouldn't have gotten a second one. Only thing, you'll use a lot more gas than that Honda.
Old 03-31-2004, 17:16   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO
My wife is about 5'5" and drives my truck fine. In my admittedly biased opinion, the Ranger is the finest small truck out there. Still, if it wasn't good I wouldn't have gotten a second one. Only thing, you'll use a lot more gas than that Honda.
That's okay, I go through so much gas on my snowmobile that I'm sure the power of the truck will be worth it.
Old 04-02-2004, 13:46   #8 (permalink)

Smile Re: Looking for info on a 2004 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowknife
That's okay, I go through so much gas on my snowmobile that I'm sure the power of the truck will be worth it.
Yeah, I have a jetski. It holds 18 gal of gas, same as my truck, and I can burn off a tank in a day. Summer is almost here, yeeeehaaaaw!
Old 04-02-2004, 14:06   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO
Yeah, I have a jetski. It holds 18 gal of gas, same as my truck, and I can burn off a tank in a day. Summer is almost here, yeeeehaaaaw!
Well I'm waiting for the phone call of approval. Test drove her today and loved it. I'm still drueling...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum