Manual Tranny Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 05:50   #1 (permalink)

Manual Tranny Problem

I have a 1991 Ranger 2.3ltr 2 wheel drive with what seems to be a manual transmission problem. The truck what making a loud noise when in 2nd gear or 3rd gear rolling 20-30miles per hr with clutch engaged! So my first thought was the release bearing was going bad. This is what i have done.1)Replaced clutch with a new clutch set! 2) Replaced slave cylinder! 3) Replaced master cylinder & new hydralic line (bench bled before install) The problem with it is this.When up shifting I am grinding gears! When easing truck forward I press pedal to disengage I can feel what seems to be clutch still grabbing like it is not disengaging! When in reverse clutch disengaged truck will not roll back when parked on an incline,but will roll back in the other gears when clutch disengaged! When in reverse also moving with clutch engaged if I disengage truck will abruptly stop like I have with the brakes very hard it will also do this in forward gears but not every time! I hope I have explained everything correctly and any thoughts are welcome
Thank you
Richard Parvin
parvinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 07:37   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Manual Tranny Problem

It sounds like you might still have some air in the line. Try bleeding it more. Sometimes it takes a long time.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:14   #3 (permalink)

ok so I took master cylinder back out along with the line and resivevor and bench bleed again didnt get any air out of it reinstalled hooked up line to slave and hooked up a clear hose to the bleeder with a glass jar under the hose started the gravity bleed all is going good steady stream of fluid have not touched anything refilled resivior still steady stream all is good at this point checked fluid level all is good looked under truck and my fluid is all of a sudden just dripping
Old 09-26-2011, 12:12   #4 (permalink)

Went back out hooked up clear hose to bleeder have good flow no air flushed 3 reseviors of fluid thru it still have original problem so at the point i think my new slave cyl is leaking so im going to pull tranny for the forth time i did however put the rearend on stands and it shift thru da gears just fine except reverse is still not right. Could problem be in rearend if so what do i look at? What do i look for? I did put a 3inch body lift under the springs but this was going on before lift install!
Old 09-26-2011, 13:46   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It's not in the differential.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:54   #7 (permalink)

If the clutch will not release when the pedal is depressed all the way, you have a master or slave not working. There were several slaves used, with different 'depths', some required a spacer to be removed when they were installed.
Did the replacement slave match the original? It should have been the same measurement front to rear. If it did, it may be defective, and not pushing the clutch fingers in enough to release the clutch.
Most times, a bad slave or master will not cause noise in 2nd or 3rd gear, it will cause the gears to grind a bit as power is still being transferred from the engine, making the drive gears want to turn, getting them out of sync with the driven, as there is more power there than the blocking rings can overcome to get the gears to 'match up' before you shift the gear completely.
tom
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 14:26   #8 (permalink)

I also have been having similar tranny probs. I have a 2001 w/a 2.3L. Mine has sat un-driven for months(drive a work trk instead). I thought my clutch had gone bad till I saw the vid on bench bleeding the slave. It worked well for about 50 miles. I hear a squeeling noise from a dead stop at the friction point taking off. The gears are hard to shift including reverse. Now this only happens after it has been driven long enough for the tranny to get hot. Do 91 and 01's have the same tranny?
jmc3112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 16:36   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

They should be the same if it's the same engine. The 4.0 had different gear ratios.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum