my 97 ranger XLT idles 1100? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 15:36   #1 (permalink)

confused my 97 ranger XLT idles 1100?

so i bought a 97 V6 4.0L ranger xlt truck off a friend and iy idles higher than normal about 1100. the engine light recently came on. i had a diagnostic ran at autozone to figure out y this is happening and the codes were P0171 and P0174. ive replaced both O2 sensors already and only made small difference (idles about 1000) the engine light is still on. anyone have any ideas on wat to replace next? im guessing MAF sensor any ifo would b greatly appriciated
NAU Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 18:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: my 97 ranger XLT idles 1100?

First off, how does it idle, other than too high, does it fluctuate, does it idle a bit rough? Because if it is, it may be something simple. I only ask this as it can also cause the idle when warm to be a bit high.

I have the 92 version of that 4.0L V6 w/ 218K+ miles on the clock and for a good chunk of last year it'd do just that, fluctuate when cold, dropping to about 100RPMs, sometimes dying and rise up to about 1100RPM's and once warm it tended to stay at about 1000-1100 RPMs, unless I have on lights etc, then the idle would drop to where it should, around 800 or so RPM's.

I only knew that when I had the truck tested for exhaust emissions (yes, it passed, go figure) and in January when I had the slave clutch cylinder replaced, they noticed a whistling noise and discovered a vacuum leak. Plugged it up and now it idles just fine.
92rangerstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 14:35   #3 (permalink)

Re: my 97 ranger XLT idles 1100?

its idles somewhat rough but it never gets down near 100 rpms, about 600 or 700 at the least.
NAU Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum