my truck is haunted, i could use help!! plz! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2004, 15:18   #1 (permalink)
Cheetah :D

my truck is haunted, i could use help!! plz!

hello guys, this is a quick post because i have to run to work in like 5. I recently installed an amplifier in my truck and i kept the factory cd player. I installed a converted to it and hook up the amplifier to that. The power of the amplifier comes from the battery directly. My problem is that whenever i put the radio somewhat loud. the whole system shuts off. Even more weird is the fact that if i am on park and on neutral i can go as loud as i want and it will not shut off. All the power of the amplifier is going to the subwoofer. amplifier brand is MA audio and the subwoofer is one i found around there for cheap. Anyone has any suggestions? its really bugging me a lot!

thanks for cheking the post guys
Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2004, 16:02   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: my truck is haunted, i could use help!! plz!

Sounds like the rev's drop to low in gear, and the alternator doent output enough amps to run the amp and keep the engine electrics supplied with enough power.

Run a multimeter over the battery and watch what it does when you make the car shut down and let us know.

Increase idle to make the alternator turn over a bit quicker could fix it
A new bigger better battery may solve it
A new alternator with more grunt may solve it

Try keeping one foot on the brake with the car in gear and increase the revs with the accelrator does it still shut off.

In neutral with hedlights on high beam, foot on brake, and stereo turned does it die at all.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 11:07   #3 (permalink)

hello guys, i tryed some of the suggested things because i dont have any toold at my house. I noticed something weird too last time i started my truck. The sound would only come out from the left speakers and after i would switch to gear it would come out of all speakers, really weird huh? Anyways i put the highbeams on put it on neutral, steped on the brake put the sound all the way and the sound did not turn off. as soon as i went back to gear it did. At maximun power the highbeams did not dim too. I dunno whats going on. I was thiking that a new headunit might fix it, but I wanna be sure it will fix it before buying anything. any other suggestions?
Old 03-14-2004, 14:46   #4 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Sounds like you have crossed wires possibly, back to basics, check the wiring of everything again, slowly and carefully, run the cables in a messy way so you can work on them, I once pulled my dash out the wirining loom out, to find why the car wouldnt start, all to find the kill switch and dropped a wire, so sometimes basics are good to find a problem, hope that helps.

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 21:00   #5 (permalink)

i will give it a try and keep up up to date. If i get a new headunit, is that most likely going to solve the problem? because i was considering getting one anyways. Another thing, do you still think i might need a new alternator? my friend was saying that the alternator cannot power the stereo and the computer (while it shifts gears), at the same time. could he be right? thanks for your help man,

cheetah
Old 03-18-2004, 19:54   #6 (permalink)

you might want to check the ground too make sure that you diconnect the battery though (which everyone knows) and mabye get a better gage ? that might help not sure
dave
DaveeyCrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 08:01   #7 (permalink)

hello guys

i finnally figured out what it was. After trying a lot of things i decided to rmove the converter and the second i did that my radio started functioning propery :D thanks for the help everyone :D
Old 04-20-2004, 08:48   #8 (permalink)

hey guys i just wanted to let u all know that i fixed my problem. It turned out it was that dammed converter that was messing up the radio. as soon as it was removed, the radio worked perfectly. I bought a new headunit and now my sound works even better. Thanks a lot for everyone that gave me ideas on what it could be and everyone that looked in here.

Cheetah
Old 04-21-2004, 01:59   #9 (permalink)

Glad you worked out the problem. Heres to many hours of music pleasure
89F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum