need help. trans or fuel problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2005, 09:17   #1 (permalink)

need help. trans or fuel problem

I have a 2000 ranger extcab 4x4 automatic, and I am currently having this jerking problem when my truck is shifting between gears. When I accelerate, my truck starts jerking hard and it feels like it is hesitating. The engine runs fine and the RPM’s does not seem like it is fluctuating. I had a problem before when I was driving and the truck started to hesitate, but that time the engine light went on and I found out that one of the spark plugs started to misfire. This problem is different; the truck feels like it is just jerking after it shifts to the next gear. The truck jerks 4-6 time or till I let off the gas. Has anyone experience the same problem. Is the transmission the problem or is it related to fuel or ignitions system?
redhotranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2005, 12:05   #2 (permalink)

Re: need help. trans or fuel problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotranger
I have a 2000 ranger extcab 4x4 automatic, and I am currently having this jerking problem when my truck is shifting between gears. When I accelerate, my truck starts jerking hard and it feels like it is hesitating. The engine runs fine and the RPM’s does not seem like it is fluctuating. I had a problem before when I was driving and the truck started to hesitate, but that time the engine light went on and I found out that one of the spark plugs started to misfire. This problem is different; the truck feels like it is just jerking after it shifts to the next gear. The truck jerks 4-6 time or till I let off the gas. Has anyone experience the same problem. Is the transmission the problem or is it related to fuel or ignitions system?
my 99 ranger does the same thing when going up hills. it feels like the trans. is slipping right before it downshifts. if i mash the pedal down everything seeems fine. had it to the dealer twice problem still persists. going to different dealer next week,will let you know how that turns out.
meatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 14:53   #3 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Redhotranger: Sounds like it is more of a Trans problem. Check the fluid levels to make sure they are up to par. When was the last time it was checked or replaced?

meatnik: Has the dealer written anything on your workorders? It should say what they have checked. I would also look at the levels. If they are low you will get what you are describing. Of course it could be that your trans is starting to go. First thing would be to check the levels for sure.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:57   #4 (permalink)

Before you spend lots of money at the dealer, why don't you try a few things yourself first.Check the air filter to see if it's plugged. Replace the fuel filter. Then wet down the plug wires with water as the truck is running to see if you get any miss in the engine. Pull the plugs and check to see if they are all burning the same. I really don't think it is your trans, but climb underneath and check wiring and plugs on tranny. Corrosion build up on sensor pins can cause lot's of trouble. Hope this helps.
buck_canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:54   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticSVT
Redhotranger: Sounds like it is more of a Trans problem. Check the fluid levels to make sure they are up to par. When was the last time it was checked or replaced?

meatnik: Has the dealer written anything on your workorders? It should say what they have checked. I would also look at the levels. If they are low you will get what you are describing. Of course it could be that your trans is starting to go. First thing would be to check the levels for sure.
the first time my truck was at the dealer they replaced the valve body and reprogramed the pcm.the second time they said they rebuilt the transmission,but the problem persists. i am going to try another dealer soon. by the way i have the extended warranty. my brothers 99 ranger did the same thing but he has since traded it.
meatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum