Need Tech guidance - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2006, 19:05   #1 (permalink)

Question Need Tech guidance

Hey guys got a really good one here:

I had to have a valve job on a 1989 2.3L with 180,000 miles because of two burnt valves.
When I tore it down to have the valves down, I removed the cam and the lifters, but left the valves for them to remove for the valve job.
After putting the head and all back togather,the oil pressure at an idle is 10 psi at operating temp. When the rpm is taken up to 2000 and held ,the pressure DROPS to about 3-4 psi,pressures are taken with a manual gauge at the sending unit port.
There is no audible knock or noise from the head or low end. I changed the oil when I had the head off and thought on an extreme chance of a bad oil filter or such. Put a different one on and the same result.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2006, 20:17   #2 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

Re: Need Tech guidance

very funny almost sounds like sumthing is stuck inside the lil oil holes in the head or cam sumwhare. Defintly dont drive it until its fixed. IS the oil psi gauge fried or damaged?
Old 04-19-2006, 04:43   #3 (permalink)

I went back and rechecked everthing. I then wanted to see where the oil would coming out if one of the oil galley ports was leaking. So I put 20 psi of air pressure at the port of the oil sending unit to watch where the air came outof the bearing journals,lifters ect... Everything looked normal. I rechecked the sprocket that the oil pump shaft is on,and it was one tooth off from the timming mark so I put it where it needed to be.
Put it all back togather thinking that nothing was really going to change and lo and behold all things are fine. Oil pressure is fine at all rpm levels and holds steady.
I may go ahead and pull the oil pan and check as this seems a little odd to me. May have some junk in the way of the screen.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:30   #4 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

if im not mistaken "and im no techie" but the oil psi should raise as the rpm's do.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:17   #5 (permalink)

You are correct in a "normal" situation, that is why this was so hard to diagnose.The fact that at an idle oil pressure was low(10psi) at the head. Raise rpm to 2000 and in 30 seconds or less the psi would DROP to 3-4 psi.

I still think that the relief valve or a stopped up screen is the real case here but not sure. It did seem funny that all was fine until the head was removed and then put back on.
Weird things happen like that and that is why I use the user name that I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum