Is it nessesary to releive fuel pressure to change fuel filter? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2006, 11:56   #1 (permalink)

Is it nessesary to releive fuel pressure to change fuel filter?

If so, can someone tell me where the inertia switch is located on a '00 3.0 2WD Ranger XLT?
Also, since I've read tons of problems with the inertia switch (as well as other fuel problems)....once I locate it, should I bypass it and how is this best done?

Longer part of the story is I am having a fuel delivery problem....I am starting with the obvious, and easiest....replace the fuel filter. But that really doesn't seem like it's the *only* problem.
Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

peace,
janette
Thorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2006, 18:47   #2 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

Re: Is it nessesary to releive fuel pressure to change fuel filter?

lol it probably is but if you just take the fuel filter off, let it blast out til its everywhare, put the new 1 in, and turn the truck to the on position a few times then begin cranking it up and work out the air bubles till it starts you should be okay. Then again i could be wrong but for the most part you should be okay if you dont mind a lil gas.
Old 04-20-2006, 21:52   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronicus
lol it probably is but if you just take the fuel filter off, let it blast out til its everywhare, put the new 1 in, and turn the truck to the on position a few times then begin cranking it up and work out the air bubles till it starts you should be okay. Then again i could be wrong but for the most part you should be okay if you dont mind a lil gas.
I waited for about an hour for an answer....didn't get one.
So I lit up a smoke and the propane torch and went to work on it.
I changed it out and nothing blew up, bummer. Got gas all over, but that was going to happen anyway. I didn't anticipate doing the job and walking away free of a strong stench of gas...and I was right.
Truck still doesn't run worth a crap.
The fuel filter for the flex fuel model didn't come with new clips.

I wouldn't have even thought about it, but read the book on how to do it. It said "you MUST releive pressure"....sounded kinda like it might have been important. Apparently the book was wrong.

peace,
janette
Thorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 20:14   #4 (permalink)

I work at a Ford dealership and all we do is pull the old one off and put the new one on, and when it comes to that switch, in the 4 years that i have worked with Ford we have no complaints, or towins because of that switch. it takes alot to make that switch turn. plus then ur driving an illigal vehicle because of that style of modification and you could get a ticket for that
hectorbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:46   #5 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

wait an illegal viechle and get a ticket , FOR THAT LOL?
ive been driving with no hood, no emissions system, a glasspack on a 4 cilinder, hi flow everything filters, and mad mad other stuff.
all ive got my cops when they pull me over is questions about it. whats this and that.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum