Neutral Safety Switch??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 23:28   #1 (permalink)

confused Neutral Safety Switch???

hi, ok so today i decided to dig into my steering column like a dummy. Only because my shift lever (automatic tran) doesn't go all the way up into park, so i thought maybe there was an adjusting screw or something in the steering column where it connects to. Well when i took out these 2 bolt that go directly in the sides of the steering column my steering wheel then became loose so i finally figured out there was no adjusting screw for the shift lever, and started to put everything back together when i discovered, now my key turns over but wont start my truck all the lights in the instrument cluster come on, but no start, i dont have any blown fuses or anything... so i have no idea where to go from here, i made sure nothing came disconnected.... What do i do now?? Please help if anyone came into this same predicament. Thanks.

ps: i was wold it maybe the neutral safety switch, could it be?
99RangerChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 02:31   #2 (permalink)

Re: Neutral Safety Switch???

Hey, I am not an expert, but I am pretty sure the Neutral Safety Switch is on the trans housing. I don't think you ruined that. My Guess (note the word guess) is that the ignition lock cylinder is out of whack (meaning that when it is twisted, it does not contact what makes the truck crank.) Maybe a harness came unplugged, that is another possibility....Wish I could be of more help, but I am almost sure the NSS is good.
97dummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:50   #3 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Also, the neutral safety switch wouldn't allow the engine to turn over. I'd suggest disconnecting the cable between the steering column and the transmission (put the e-brake on first or chuck the wheels), putting the transmission in park by hand, then trying to turn it over and see what happens.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:18   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

Well, without knowing what TWO BOLTS you have removed, this is purely a guess. I think you may have unbolted the ignition switch (not to be confused with the ignition lock) I know this doesn't really make sense on the loose steering wheel, but I am unclear as to what the loose steering wheel means exactly.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum