O/D Light Flashing on and off - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2006, 10:04   #1 (permalink)

confused O/D Light Flashing on and off

Anyone experiencing the OverDrive (O/D) light flashing on and off? When it's cold out, the O/D light flashes off and on when I'm just starting to get up to speed. The transmission seems to have problems shifting from a cold start then the light flashes. I have to put the truck in neutral and shut the engine off and restart to get the light to shut off. Then it's not a problem anymore. Obviously it's an automatic.

Any ideas?

2001 Ford Ranger XLT, 3.0L V6
Stinger44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2006, 16:43   #2 (permalink)

Re: O/D Light Flashing on and off

I have the same problem with my 2000 4wd XL ext.cab....I don't have a clue either!!! However, with mine I have no reverse, and will only shift into hi when I let off the gas. 68,000 mi. on it, and it just started out of blue after the O/D light started flashing last week. ???? I will let you know what I find out, so far I have been told, by other owners, it could be the shift module that costs 200.00 to have replaced, to something as simple as a vacuum line. However the vacuum line is ok, as is the trans fluid. Eric........
Eric S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:38   #3 (permalink)
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S.
I have the same problem with my 2000 4wd XL ext.cab....I don't have a clue either!!! However, with mine I have no reverse, and will only shift into hi when I let off the gas. 68,000 mi. on it, and it just started out of blue after the O/D light started flashing last week. ???? I will let you know what I find out, so far I have been told, by other owners, it could be the shift module that costs 200.00 to have replaced, to something as simple as a vacuum line. However the vacuum line is ok, as is the trans fluid. Eric........
Thanks, I appreciate the help.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:39   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S.
Thanks for the help.
Old 03-05-2006, 22:36   #5 (permalink)

The flashing OD light indicates a tranny problem that should show up with a code reader on the OBDS, try disconnesting the negative battery terminal, leave disconnected for 20 seconds and reconnect. this will reset the computer and possibly eliminate the problem.
mtneer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:07   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer57
The flashing OD light indicates a tranny problem that should show up with a code reader on the OBDS, try disconnesting the negative battery terminal, leave disconnected for 20 seconds and reconnect. this will reset the computer and possibly eliminate the problem.
I'll give it a shot. Thanks
Old 12-31-2007, 05:55   #7 (permalink)

JUst had the automatic transmission flushed and fluid changed and ever since the O/D indicator comes on and will not go off without turning off/on ignition. Transmission runs same as always and O/D engages/disengages as always. Budget lube claims they did nothing that would have caused the problem. What can I do?
dancewithme951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 13:25   #8 (permalink)

I have the same light problem on my 2000 xlt. I can disconnect the battery and clear the computer but the problem returns after 5 miles & 35 MPH. Obviously something is wrong. Also, I have slight "slipping" when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I had a spark knock a while ago and changed the plugs and wires thinking the knock was an ignition problem. Now I think it night have been shifting into 2nd too soon.
PC Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:46   #9 (permalink)
00gtr1

When your OD light is flashing there is something wrong with the trans. It flashes for a reason. The most likely problem with this trans is the valvebody gaskets are blown out causing a pressure loss. If you keep driving it with this problem you will burn up the cluthes and bands in the transmisson. either repair can be costly so it depends how many miles are on your truck and how much money you can spend.
00gtr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 13:34   #10 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: O/D Light Flashing on and off

When my Dodge Dealer was still open we sold a 2000 Mountaineer that was traded. It had the flashing OD off light and had a Torque Converter Clutch Soenoid performance code. We called the Ford dealer and they said when you first start the vehicle or restart it, hit the OD off button and drive it. If the OD off light starts flashing again the Trans. has an internal issue. If it doesn't flash it's a bad OD off switch. The Mountaineer still had a flashing light so it went to the Ford dealer and they overhauled the trans.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum