Oil coming out of throttle body!?!?! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2005, 11:41   #1 (permalink)

Oil coming out of throttle body!?!?!

Oil has been coming out of the throttle body, running down the air intake tube, & leaking out of the air filter. I thought the pcv valve may be bad, but it is still rattling & seems to be working fine. I also checked the pcv hose to see if any oil was in the hose but it was clean.

Then I tried a breather cap to see if there was too much crankcase pressure, but that didn't help either.

It's a 1995 2.3L Ranger.

Any ideas?
My95.0L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2005, 17:00   #2 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

Re: Oil coming out of throttle body!?!?!

rofl

2 things come to mind #1 its gona be really expensive or just 3.99
bottom line is oil is geting into your head which is coming out the throttlebody,
sound impossible but, does it run real real shitty get horible gas mileage and spit constant blue smoke, if so ur rings are shot, if not go to autozone checker napa carquest pepe boys or hopefuly earls auto and get a bottle of sea foam , run it through a vacume line feeding all cilinders, see what happens
but i stil got my $ on blown rings

btw is the oil level normal on the dipstick?
Cronicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 06:03   #3 (permalink)

Actually it isn't running bad. Gas milage has never been that great, but it has been a little worse than ususal. No blue smoke. Already did the Sea Foam thing......twice actually. I'm going to take the t-body off this weekend & check the upper intake for oil, maybe that will shed some light on the situation. The oil level was low, took a quart to fill her up. There are not any other oil leaks, so this is due to the oil puking up through the throttle body.

Any other ideas???
Old 11-29-2005, 07:52   #4 (permalink)

i have the same problem with my 1995 ranegr 2.3. does ur oil get all over the fire cover on ur hood? i have oil on there constantly but i never get low. let me know what u do to fix urs. and its probably just time for us to rebuild the little four cylinders anyways.
rangerboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 17:55   #5 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

ROFL IM SHOOTING OIL THROUGH 2 AFTERMARKET BREATERS ON MINE NOW
because of overreving.
however i have come up with this conclusion, the oil is gona be coming out of the left hand side or the rear side "depending on mount" as it is being sucked up and into the vacumelines and sumhow to the vacume line on the tb and only throws it further when the truck is shutdown, i stil think it makes no sence but its a guess.
whats so puzzeling is how the air filter is caked with oil, but ur not throwing mad black or blue smoke. it means the tb is not constantly filled with oil.
i would begin looking into the pcv and vacume lines and where that oil is going, if u want get clear tubing and temp. re do your pcv hoses
and last i doubt its even oil honstly it sounds like brake fluid coming through the brakebooster vacumeline.
thats just my 2c
Old 12-01-2005, 12:55   #6 (permalink)

I just replaced the pcv valve again. This time I'm using a Ford Motorcraft & ditching the Auto Zone pcv. I'm going to give it a few days & check it again.

The only other thing I can think of is the hose that goes from the intake tube to the top of the valve cover ( where the pcv system draws its fresh air ). I've noticed oil leaking from the bottom of the hose all over the top of the valve cover. Maybe somehow the oil is puking through the hose to the intake track???
Old 12-01-2005, 17:39   #7 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

verry possible, how high do u rev it?
and ur shure its not brakefluid?
is the oil level to high?
i would look into geting a new valve cover gasket, pop it off take a look and reseal it.
if everything is nice and tight u should be ok.
except for the fact that there oil everywhare.
heres another idea let that engine cool way down, cover the distrubitor with a trash bag, and the ecu, and hit the top end of that engine with a can of engine degreaser and maybe u can find the coperate faster?
Old 12-02-2005, 08:46   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronicus
verry possible, how high do u rev it?
and ur shure its not brakefluid?
is the oil level to high?
i would look into geting a new valve cover gasket, pop it off take a look and reseal it.
if everything is nice and tight u should be ok.
except for the fact that there oil everywhare.
heres another idea let that engine cool way down, cover the distrubitor with a trash bag, and the ecu, and hit the top end of that engine with a can of engine degreaser and maybe u can find the coperate faster?
Actually I rev the piss out of her when I pass people (never thought about that). Oil level has been fine, never overfilled. 99.99% sure it's not brake fluid.
I thought about popping of the valve cover off last night actually. May do that this weekend if the problem persists along with degreasing the motor.
Old 12-03-2005, 18:19   #9 (permalink)

Ok, after messing around with this some more this weekend, I'm sure the oil is coming out of the hose that goes from the intake tube to the top of the valve cover ( where the pcv system draws its fresh air ). It's not from the pcv. The haynes manual says the pcv system is designed to allow excessive amounts of blow-by gases to flow back through the crankcase vent tube into the air cleaner intake track if abnormal operating conditions arise so the gases can be consumed by normal combustion. Why is oil coming out the vent tube with the gases???

And what the f*ck is abnormal operating conditions??? Can someone define this for me?

This system has worked fine for 10 years & all of the sudden oil is being purged along with the blow-by gases. Any ideas?

And by the way, the baffle in the valve cover is still installed.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:51   #10 (permalink)

Alright, I'm convinced its blow-by causing all my headaches. I put a breather on the valve cover again & took out the pcv. Where the pcv was I ran a hose to the intake tube (acts like a second breather). Capped off the line the pcv use to go to under the upper intake. Hopefully this will yeild some good results!!!

Truck seems to be running ok set up like this. Going to give it a few days and I'll post the results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum