Oil in coolant... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 20:31   #1 (permalink)
BLT

Oil in coolant...

Hey all, new here.

I just had new heads and all gaskets (intake manifold, valve covers etc.) replaced as well as the water pump on a 2001 Ranger with a 3.0L with 122,000 miles. Radiator flushed and oil changed. I had a coolant leak at the front of the right head externally, no oil in coolant or coolant in the oil.

3 weeks later and I find a lot of oil in my coolant resevoir. I had been checking it pretty regular for any problems after the fix. Took the truck back to the mechanic and after pressure testing the cylinders and pulling parts off the front of the engine he told me the timing chain cover gasket was bad and the cover was warped causing oil to get in the coolant. There is no coolant in the oil and no smoke coming out of the exhaust. The engine runs perfect other then the oil in the coolant. Is this possible? Could there be a good cylinder test if the leak is between an oil port and coolant port?

I guess the mecanic doesn't have a lot to gain if he fixes this and it still has oil in the coolant so I tend to put some trust in his judgement, but this is getting expensive. Ball Joints are next if this works.

Brian
BLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 12:53   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Oil in coolant...

When Chipset comes in, he'll be able to tell you what could be wrong. He's an expert on engines.
Old 11-16-2010, 19:07   #3 (permalink)

Just one question. How could you need heads on a 3 lt ford ? that is almost unheard of.
There are many places where oil can enter the cooling system on that engine. I'd have to know how good your mechanic is. Not that good, maybe. There is a change up on the intake gaskets. they had problems. Did he use them ? there are " through bolts " on the timing cover that enter the water jacket. Were the threads sealed ? If not the coolant will " walk " through the threads into the timing cover making the timing cover seem warped and leaking. The intake bolts are torqued to 21 lbs done in two steps and must be lock tighted in. Did he do that ? That is the most likely place for the leak. Head bolts on that engine must be replaced and there are 4 steps to torquing them down to 68 lbs. did he do that ? Too many variables. I'd have to be there seen that. I've given you some place to look. As a guess i'd say the intake is leaking. To get oil into the coolant you need pressure from some where to over come the normal pressure of the cooling system. You should be under warranty. Take it back. Prime exp. The 3.1 chev engine is 12 lbs on the intake. You had BETTER use lock tight on the bolts or you won't last 4 miles. Good luck.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 20:02   #4 (permalink)
BLT

Thanks Chipset. I'll print your reply and ask him all these questions. They said they ordered the parts using the VIN. At the time the heads were replaced, the timing cover wasn't removed. He told me from the begging that the head bolts needed to be replaced and they were. They said they put high pressure air on each cylinder and didn't get any air entering the cooling system.

As for blowing the heads gaskets....I had coolant gushing our of the very front of the right gasket. When replacing the gaskets both heads proved to be warped. When looking up the engine on line and reading about all the changes to it over the years it was mentioned on one site that about 25% of all heads or gaskets are blown or cracked. Of course, you never know with the internet.

Brian
BLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum