Please Help! 87 Ranger - No Spark - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2006, 16:56   #1 (permalink)

frown Please Help! 87 Ranger - No Spark

I just got an 87 Ranger XLT 4X4 with 84000 miles on it. It was running fine and then just decided to quit at the corner of the street and we had to push it back into the garage. I am not getting any spark from the coil, we changed the coil, the electronic module on the distributor, the magnetic sensor inside the distributor, checked all the fuses and fusible links, cleaned the battery posts, changed the cap and rotor and looked for a reset on the OBC. Nothing seems to work and I am ready to torch this monstrosity. Can anyone offer any suggestions on where to look next? It is getting fuel, I can hear the pump running and can smell gas when the engine cranks over but there is still no spark coming from the distributor or the coil.
scheuer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2006, 17:55   #2 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

Re: Please Help! 87 Ranger - No Spark

start by poping open the dist cap and having sum run the engine, is the dist rotor even spining, if its not look at the rod and teeth, if there good your timing chain or belt is proly done4. if it is spining and youve alreayd replaced the 2 critical componets for spark, eletricaly test the wiring until you have exhausted it all the way to the ecu. if at some point you can read a signal through the + wires, replace everything you tested until you found where it was working.
the rest is beyond me it would help if you could specify the motor displacment. im guessing its a 2.3?
Old 07-13-2006, 17:27   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. Engine is a 2.9, I have no spark at the coil but there is power at both the red wire & the green/yellow wire which tells me the curcuit is complete. I will check for distributor rotation as sson as I get a chance. Once again, thank you!
Old 07-13-2006, 17:39   #4 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

2.9 nice. so the harnes that plugs into the coil has got power, but everythign after it has got nothing?
if you plug in the wire that feeds to the center of the dist, and arc it or eletricaly test it, do you get voltage, and how much?
Is you battery drained by sum chance?
and last you ranger has got the coil in the dist, and the ignition module on the side right? or am i missing sumthing.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:07   #5 (permalink)

I had sort of the same problem but I changed the EEC relay and wha laa. If all else fails check that. check to see if u have power to the 2 large wires going to the relay, if so jump them to the orange wire i think and you should hear engine switches clicking. Luckly the relay was only bout $15. Jus thot i'd thro my 2 cents in. hope it helps.
diggerauditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 00:06   #6 (permalink)

Well, I got almost the same truck (1987 Ranger Xtracab 2.9 A4LD, CC, AC, 4x2 with similiar problems!

Occasionally for the past couple months my truck will start in the morning when the engine is cold, it idles poorly and wants to die unless I give it a bit of gas until I've driven a minute or two. If I don't give it some gas and start driving, it dies...it restarts, but I have to be kinda on the gas and start driving to keep it running when it happens. After about a minute of driving it's ok.

Yesterday morning it started as usual, I let it idle for about 30 seconds and then it died! It cranks over but won't start! I smell gas around the engine compartment, but see no leaks. No gas around injectors or in the vacuum line to the fpr. I also checked plugwires, and other electrical plugs to make sure they weren't loose, but no change. So I drove my backup vehicle to work and left this **** thing it until this evening after work.

Just pulled the KOEO codes...kinda strange results never seen em come out like this. It appears that I got an 11 11 and then the single seperating beep saying that all is well?!? I usually get 11 seperated by one beep and then 11 again, meaning all is well.

BUT, then I got 18 and 33 and the standard repeat (it sends the codes twice as ya know) of 18 and 33. I pulled the codes twice just to be sure. I can't do the KOER (obviously) since it won't start.

According to my code scanner book, code 18 is loss of tach signal to electronic control assembly (ECA) Side note that my tachometer has intermittently not worked for the past couple months, but I don't know if this is related at all.

Code 33 is EGR valve position (EVP) sensor or pressure feedback EGR (PFE) sensor indicates EGR valve not seated (closed) properly.

Maybe my ignition module (on the distributor) or my ignition coil or main computer (ECU) died?

Just checked and I have no spark at the coil wire, therefore no spark at the plugs. Went to swap my ignition module just to check and now I can't find my stupid special little socket!

Any ideas?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 00:28   #7 (permalink)

Just had a thought...it seems to crank rather easily...maybe my original timing chain just broke! That would explain code 18 and maybe code 33 due to the valve train not moving! Too late tonight to check the distributor rotor turning. I'll check tomorrow and post back.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:11   #8 (permalink)

Timing chain is ok, rotor turns, checked all the wiring plugs under the hood, fuses, will look at ecu tomorrow hopefully. Anymore suggestions?
Old 07-20-2006, 01:14   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerauditor
I had sort of the same problem but I changed the EEC relay and wha laa. If all else fails check that. check to see if u have power to the 2 large wires going to the relay, if so jump them to the orange wire i think and you should hear engine switches clicking. Luckly the relay was only bout $15. Jus thot i'd thro my 2 cents in. hope it helps.
Have to check that too, thanks.
Old 07-20-2006, 15:23   #10 (permalink)

I don't wanna sound stupid but I guess I am. Please tell me what and where is the EEC relay? The coil is mounted on the wheel well, not on the distributor. I pulled the cap and cranked the engine and the distributor rotor turns like its supposed to so the timing chain is not broke. I know it has to be something simple because I am getting voltage to the coil, both at the red wire and green/yellow wire. This dang thing is making me crazy; miss the good old 60's when all that was under the hood was a basic engine and ignition system. Still need help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum