power steering quirk - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2003, 02:48   #1 (permalink)
savallone

power steering quirk

1999 B2500
In order to replace the front disc pads I turned the steering wheel, with the engine off, left and right to access the calipers and at one point noticed that steering fluid had sprayed out of the tiny air hole on top of the reservoir filler cap on the pump. Not enough to have to replenish but enough to have to clean up. Now when I make a turn from a standstill the front end "stutters". I don't know how to describe it other than to say it vibrates, shimmys almost except that I'm not going fast. Other than this steering behaves normally. Any clues as to what is happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2003, 20:20   #2 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

Re: power steering quirk

savallone,
i dont know how a mazda 2500 fits into a ford ranger forum but it sounds to me like you blew a seal out of the steering box.
with the engine idleing and sitting still does it turn kinda hard but then free up when you give it some gas and raise the rpm's ?
if so i would say it is the steering box !
thats the only thing that i can think would cause your power steering fluid to overflow through the pump reservour.
Old 10-02-2003, 17:04   #3 (permalink)
savallone

Thanks for responding.
No, there is no problem turning the steering wheel at idle. In fact, the problem seems to have cleared itself up. I'm wondering if turning the wheel right and left while in use over these past few days has purged the system of air as this is part of the procedure for doing so given in the service manual. Anyway, I keep my fingers crossed and will pay attention for anything out of the ordinary.
Also, Mazda B-series trucks are made by Ford and, except for the body, the same as Rangers.
Old 10-02-2003, 23:01   #4 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

well glad to hear that it purged itself but i still stand behind what was said before about the bad seal.
if it wasnt bad i cant see how it pushed fluid out of the cap.
but anyway as long as its working i wouldnt worry about it.
if it gets really bad you will have to rev the motor just to turn the wheels and at that point should replace the gearbox.
Old 10-02-2003, 23:03   #5 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

i have never heard that mazda trucks are made by ford.
if this is true than its news to me.
either way atleast your problem is gone.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum