Powerstroking a Ranger?!?!?!?!? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 12:09   #1 (permalink)
Thomas

Powerstroking a Ranger?!?!?!?!?

OK here my thought SVT tested a concept ranger called the "Lightning Bolt" which featured a supercharged 5.4L V-8 under the hood. After long hours of research I've found a 6.0L Powerstroke to be relatively the same displacement as a 5.4L. So I've decided to put my research skills to work with trying to dig up anything on the subject however it has been quite unsuccessful. I'm posting this here to maybe get opinions on the subject I understand it's not practical but who cares I'm going for generally badass not practical. The most I've come up with is articles about Catipilers and Cummins engines but at a 4 cyl. degree. I want a Powerstroke it will fit with mods of course. I have already considered the complete drive train swap and frame reenforcement involved in order to do this at the lowest cost I'm trying to find totaled trucks without too much drive train damage so I could purchase the entire vehicle and scrap what I don't need. I've also considered contacting Gale Banks for some engine mods to reach 1,000 ft lbs. torque output however that would most definitely tweak even the strongest of frames so it's still a blueprint dream for now.
thomas04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2009, 06:05   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Powerstroking a Ranger?!?!?!?!?

First, Banks makes some good systems, but an ordinary tuner will easily add 200hp and 350lb ft of torque. First, you have to look at what you have to work with. As you said,you'll have to strengthen up the entire Ranger platform. The PS 6.0L might not fit between the wheel wells without some modifications to the chassis. The rear axle will have to be upgraded to handle the torque as well. I imagine you'd have to push out the rad a bit, and upgrade that so as to properly cool the engine. You might get away with mounting aux rads sideways should that be necessary depending on the level of tune you want to set the engine at. Putting a full size powertrain into a compact package is of course, all custom work and it's costly, which is why you won't find much info on the subject. Still, if you have the time, cash and patience, I suggest on going with it because we all know it can be done.

On a side note, I know you won't want to hear this, but the Cummins I6 would be a much better fit in the narrow engine bay. It would allow better cooling, and as you'd have to remount the rad (possibly increase the front end length even with the PS engine), it makes the most logical sense and even mid mileage engines can be had for low cost, and parts are a plenty.

After you read up on the PS 6.0L engines, you'll be best to put in a 7.3L as it's much more reliable and there are plenty of aftermarket parts for it. If I'm not mistaken, earlier 6.0L V8 diesels had injector problems, and bedplate issues that was later resolved, but the injector problem was never really fixed...hence the newly designed 6.4TD.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum