Problem with 97 Ranger 2.3l - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2006, 18:33   #1 (permalink)

Problem with 97 Ranger 2.3l

Hello, hopefully someone here has had the same problem I am having.

I have a 97 Ranger 2.3L Automatic Transmission, with about 111,000 miles, I have a new Battery, altenator, plugs, IAC, wires, pcv valve, fuel filter and air filter.

Problem:
if the truck sits overnight I can go out and start the car right up no problems and it idles fine, If I rev the engine and let it go back to idle and shut it off I cannot get it started again....until I let it sit awhile, then it will start fine. I am also able to get it started if I crank it about 10 times, then when i put it into drive it Stalls and I cant get it started again.

I am hoping someone can help....I dont really want to keep buying parts for it if it isnt the problem. I am thinking it the fuel pump??? does anyone else have any input for me....thanks
spencer00si is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2006, 18:58   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: Problem with 97 Ranger 2.3l

I would check and see what the fuel pressure is at. There is also a fuel pressure regulator, I am not sure how to check the regulator, but there may be a procedure for it in your repair manual.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 19:53   #3 (permalink)

thanks.....I think I can hear the fuel pump buzzing when i turn the key....hopefully when i test the pressure I will know more
Old 02-04-2007, 20:33   #4 (permalink)

ok fuel pressure checks out according to the specs in my Haynes manual.
anyone else have this problem and could help me??
Thanks
Old 02-05-2007, 00:12   #5 (permalink)

Either your MAF (mass airflow sensor) or MAP-BARO Sensor (you will have one or the other), Air Temperature Sensor, or your TPS (throttle positon sensor) These can cause rough idle, stalling, hard starting, and will effect your gas mileage. These sensors can and will effect your timing. They retard and advance ignition timing according to your air flow, fuel mixture or throttle.

Very occasionally a small amount of moisture that has somehow gotten into the tps (throttle position sensor) can cause this. Vacuum leaks (hoses, gaskets malfunctioning egr) can also be a problem when cold as it requires a really rich mix to run a cold car and it is running on a preset set of numbers when cold and not attempting to correct for any lean mix.

You have an OBDII system and these problems from those type sensors can be picked up using a code scanner. Some autopart stores have a code scanner that you can use for free. Just because your check engine light is not on does not mean you may have a code stored in the computer. Give that a shot and see what you may come up with. Two stores, I know for sure, that keeps code scanners customers can use is Advance Auto Parts and Auto Zone.

Just check all your vacuum lines first because if one is loose or damaged that is running to one of these sensors, it may throw a code in your computer saying it is the sensor when it is only a vacuum line running to it.

Good luck.
partsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum