Ranger troubles/Fuel tank size/air shocks - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2005, 14:59   #1 (permalink)

Ranger troubles/Fuel tank size/air shocks

Im buying an 89 shortbed ranger with a rebuilt engine. I drove it home 400 miles this weekend, and haven't paid for it yet as it's from my step brother, and we wanted to see if anything was wrong with it due to a prolonged unuse. It all seems fine, but then on the way home today I noticed a whining noise coming from the engine area. It's only when I'm in gear though. It's a whining like a big truck or a supercharger almost. It is very disctinct and loud, but the odd thing is that it only does it in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th gears. It does it in reverse too, but all of my cars have made this whine in reverse. It doesn't do it at all in 4th gear. Then, I came to a stop, and noticed that the clutch pedal was traveling all the way to the floor with no resistance. After a few seconds of pusing it, resistance was gained near the end of pedal travel, and ultimately it was restored to normal. I wasn't able to shift into gear as it did this, though, until the resistance returend and I could engage/disengage the clutch properly. I also noticed a strong odor of burning oil. When I got home I popped the hood and noticed the clutch fluid was low. It wasn't horribly low, but it was a little low. I topped it off, and then checked the oil. Also a little low. I topped that off as well (I put 5 quarts in it yesterday). I checked under the truck and found a leak. It appears that fluid (dark like oil) is dripping from the center of the truck. It is further back than the oil plug. It is at a joint of where the metal casing ends and the metal surrounding the driveshaft begins. What joint is this, and is it just a bad gasket? Is the whining noise normal, or am I getting into something very expensive here? He said he changed the clutch and pressure plate a couple of years ago when the engine was rebuilt.

I also wanted to know what the standard fuel tank size for this 2.3l 4cyl truck would be. The fuel guage doesn't work, and I have figured out the truck's mileage, but I don't want to run out of gas to find out how far I can go based on the tank size.

Finally, he has installed air shocks on the truck. You can add or release air to them with a compressor just like with tires at a nozzle mounted under the rear bumper. It has a noitce at the nozzle that it should be set at a minimum of 25psi and at a mximum of 200psi. Does anyone know the effects of the different settings? Would lower or higher psi cause a stiffer or softer ride? Whcih would give better performance and efficiency?

Thanks for the help.
KingKurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2005, 19:06   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ranger troubles/Fuel tank size/air shocks

I can answer the shock question. The only time I have seen air shocks used are when people use their truck to haul a heavy load often. I have a friend that has a 1500 and he put air shocks on it to pull his boat. He airs them up close to maximum when pulling and puts them lower when not pulling. I would assume then that the lower the number the softer to ride and vice versa. That's the only one I can answer
Rangermaniac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum