Rough Idling and Stalling - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 15:03   #1 (permalink)

Rough Idling and Stalling

I have a 1991 Ford Ranger with EFI 4.0 V-6. It idles really rough on cold starts, and it seems to idle even worse if the outside temp is cold. Also, when you put it in gear (automatic) it sometimes stalls out. If it stalls, I can't restart it without pumping the gas while turning the key. It idles a lot better and doesn't stall when it's warmed up fully, but it does sometimes hesitate.

I already changed all the plugs, plug wires, PCV valve, fuel filter, IAC valve, TPS sensor, checked the Air charge sensor, checked the ECT sensor, and I cleaned the MAF sensor. Nothing seemed to help.

Anybody got any ideas?

I pulled the codes and the only one I'm getting is the HEGO is not switching, but I don't think that would cause all my symptoms and it's usually not the oxygen sensor anyway that throws that code
zacharoni16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 06:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: Rough Idling and Stalling

I have a 1999 4.0 V6 Manual that has the same symtoms (no stalling). On cold morning starts (practically all winter...the colder the more obvious the problem)...the truck will start to idle around 800 RPM. The roughness will begin to slightly shake the truck...it almost sounds like a plug is missing however after some time the idler kicks in and revs it up to 1200 RPM or so and the process starts over again.

When driving there are little problems and I am not stalling out. Lastly, on cold mornings...after starting to drive and coming to a routine traffic stop the truck will idle higher than normal until a complete stop and then it takes a while to return to a normal idle...this is not as noticable on a warm morning.

I have a fairly new IAC valve.
156,000 miles

Thanks in advance
RangerPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 19:54   #3 (permalink)

I'm beginning to think this is a fuel pressure regulator problem, but I don't have access to a fuel pressure gauge. The colder it gets the hard it is to start, and I have to keep pumping the gas to keep it running until it warms up.

It may be the cold start valve?
zacharoni16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 21:40   #4 (permalink)

I Had The Same Problem And Everyone In Montana Was Telling Me It Was The Fuel Pump-- I Did Not Agree I Spent About 70 Dollars On A Fuel Pressure Regulator And It Started Up Better Than Ever And Power I Did Not Know I Had. Replace The Fuel Pressure Regulator And Ten Minutes Putting It In. If You Want To Test It Just Take The Vacuum Line And Suck On It Then Put Your Tongue On The End If The Vacuum Line Holds Indefinitly Its Good But If It Takes Awhile Your Diaphram Is Shot Which Means Your Pressure Is Not Holding.
BLACKSNAKE427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 18:10   #5 (permalink)

Well...I gave up the goose and took it to Ford. I will post the results of their findings tomorrow once I get it back.

I think it is either the vacuum leak or like previously mentioned a fuel pressure problem...the Check Engine light reads that I am "running lean" however I notice no problem with MPG so I am not quite sure.
Old 01-17-2009, 13:53   #6 (permalink)

The Result is in...

The problem with my truck in regards to the idle problem is

Intake Gasket(s) Leak

Again, I was not having a problem stalling so it could be different for other vehicles but have someone pull the codes to see if they can isolate a leak.

My codes were 171, 174 and 1131...all a result of a leak.

Ford is quoting around $550 to repair, mostly labor since a gasket won't cost too much. I will get the truck back Monday (hopefully) so I will post back with the total cost and work performed.

Good Luck...Everyone else.
Old 01-19-2009, 20:09   #7 (permalink)

Got kinda raped for that price man. Gaskets are not that hard to put in, let alone not that expensive to buy.
havokprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 20:55   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by havokprime View Post
Got kinda raped for that price man. Gaskets are not that hard to put in, let alone not that expensive to buy.

Yea well, I would have asked for volutneers to do it for free but I didn't think that would get much response.

I usually do all the work myself but this one was beyond my level since I didn't even know how to find the vacuum leak. Ford had to blow smoke through it in order to find the problem.

I was fully aware of that Ford would cost an arm and a leg but you gotta do whatcha gotta do. I'd rather spend the 500+ and know it is done with a guarantee then to break down somewhere and waste $80 + on a tow truck.

I don't have loyalties to any personal mechanics so its the price I am willing to pay to have it done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum