Self Diagnostic Testers? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 07:55   #1 (permalink)

Self Diagnostic Testers?

2002 Ranger XLT SC Off Road 3.0LV6 Auto,shift on fly. I WAS gonna buy an Actron Code reader at Autozone for $59.99,since my $1000 extended warranty expired(WASTED MONEY!).Now I almost gotta do ALL my Repairs that I can.Although OK right now ,are they worth it? I do like Electronic "Toys" and feel Unless the Lotto helps me ,I'm gonna drive my Truck till my Body or it gives out!Also being literally a "Mountain Man"!,and 45 miles from the nearest dealer,I'd like a OBD2 code reader.My Bro ,a mechanic of 30 years said the Actron is OK?His shop is 100 mile round trip too!My Bro in Law worked Ford Dealerships for 25 years,but do to rotator cuff wrenching front ends,etc.,Now teaches College Auto Tech. He's also 100 miles round trip.So I think a code reader might be something I'd like instead of an MP3 player or these "other" Electronic Toys! Boys??? By the way I got a refund out the door from Autozone,apparently the Sale paper they had by front door(Stack of 50!),Expired! I handed them the stack but they wouldn't honor the "Sale" price! So,my other "option" is Kragen,NAPA,Carquest,or depending on Ya'lls response,Internet purchase?
rangerteret is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2007, 22:49   #2 (permalink)

Re: Self Diagnostic Testers?

OBD2 code readers are great I have used them before and I really like them. If I had a newer truck I would buy one. I dont know what brand of them is beter but I used a Snap On scanner and it was easy to use.
countryboy006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 16:06   #3 (permalink)

Re: Self Diagnostic Testers?

My best friend has one that i have used numerous times. It's the most expensive model Autozone carries. As far as i'm concerned they are worth their weight in gold. Being an older wrencher, that grew up on bare bones small blocks, this saves SOOOO much time in guess work and wasted money on parts that werent bad to begin with.
Weather you get the cadillac model that gives you the codes and what they are, as well as any other possible solutioons. Or the basic one that just gives you a code and lets you do the footwork from there, they are worthy invetment.
johnny94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum