Setting base timing: 2.9L EFI - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2003, 20:43   #1 (permalink)
GotDelta?

Setting base timing: 2.9L EFI

Hey!

My cousin just got his Ranger back from the shop because it had a faulty ignition module. However, he's now complaining that his truck is lacking power. He was wondering if I could help it. I figgure the shop that changed the module rotated the distributor housing in order to gain access to the module, but didn't put it back in the right spot. The truck has a hard time starting and a very low idle.

I think it might be a timing problem. I suspect it might be too advanced, because there isn't any signs of it backfiring through the intake manifold (which to me indicates that the timing is retarded). If it was too advanced, the knock sensor would hide any signs of detonation and cause the lack of power. Its either that or a vaccum leak. he's bringing it by tomorrow for me to have a look at, but the real problem is that I've never worked on a ford before. Can anyone tell me which way the distributor has to be rotated in order to retard the timing? Clockwise or counterclockwise? What should the base timing be set at? (just in case his shroud sticker is missing or something) Anything else I should know?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2003, 14:47   #2 (permalink)

To see which way you need to turn the distributor to retard the timing, just pull the cap and crank the engine to see which way the rotor spins. To retard the timing, turn the distributor in the same direction as rotor rotation. To advance the timing, turn it in the opposite direction of rotor rotation.

In other words, if the rotor spins CCW, turn the distributor CCW as well to retard the ignition timing.

Before you set the base timing, don't forget to disconnect the SPOUT connector. The 2.9L normally has 6 wires on the TFI module. Follow the dark green/yellow wire back from the distributor to find the spout connector. It will be past the large round gray conector that connects the TFI wiring to the harness. The spout connector should be a gray "shorting block" that breaks continuity between the TFI module and the computer to disable the electronic advance.

And do yourself a favor, set the base timing to the spec on the label under the hood with a timing light. Makes the process a lot easier and will make your computer work as it should.
Full 3" stainless Bassani Exhaust
32" BFG's/stock suspension

"No replacement for displacement."

"Our lugnuts require more torque than most Honda's produce!"
'92BigBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 15:51   #3 (permalink)
GotDelta?

Re: Setting base timing: 2.9L EFI

Awesome!! Thanks alot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum