significant oil coming out of passenger side motor mount??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 01:30   #1 (permalink)

significant oil coming out of passenger side motor mount???

The other day I spotted an oil puddle on the ground on the passengers side of my 95 2.5liter 4cylinder manual. I inspected the entire motor including all lines and hoses from under the hood and from under the truck extremely thoroughly and also looked from any and every angle. There was oil stains on some of the components underneath the passengers side but after a few hours of looking I couldn't find any source where it was leaking . Due to regular and a recent oil change the engine oil is very clean but the oil from wherever it leaked from is noticeably dirtier. My oil level reading from the dipstick stayed the same despite the leak and wih continued driving. My oil pressure hasn't changed either. With all this said I suspected the leak wasn't from the engine. After a couple days the leak slowed but was still present and most of the run off and splattered oil was either dried or had burnt off so I got back under the truck and looked around and spotted fresh oil coming out of a split that runs around the motor mount between the metal part of the mount and the rubbery part. To be sure, since I've never come across nor ever heard of an oil /fluid filled motor mount, I cleaned off all oil stains and cleaned the oil off the mount then continued driving as I normally would and crawled back underneath the next day to see and sure as shit there was more oil seeping from the mount just not as much as at first and I couldn't find any new stains or evidence of the leak coming from anywhere else at all. I'm completely baffled because I've never known a motor mount to be fluid filled. I'm no auto expert but I've had experience with repairing and diagnosis of my truck because I had no other way to fix issues. So if I wanted to keep mu vehicles well maintained and running then I had to do it myself so if you've seen this before or heard of it and can pass on some of your wisdom and tell me that I'm not crazy and that my problem is fixable and how or if I even need to do anything. But I'm assuming that the purpose of an oil/fluid filled motor moint is to cushion movement between the mount and the engine. Help if you can.
michmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 06:05   #2 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage
Re: significant oil coming out of passenger side motor mount???

Sounds like you use the same motor mount the focus use's, and in that case, yes it is a hydraulic type motor mount, and is filled with hydraulic fluid.

From looking at auto part store's, it furthers my theory.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain

WESTAR ENGINE MOUNT, SOLD INDIVIDUALLY -- Hydraulic; A high quality, direct fit OE replacement engine mount; Easy installation.

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
djzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum