Simply Preformance - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 18:42   #1 (permalink)

Simply Preformance

Its my 1st post here and I don't mean to be out of place but I'm looking at a 1996 Ranger V6 w/ a 4.0 and was wondering what I could do to get a little more juice out of it.
I would love to get a Turbo for it and my metal shop teacher (owns a 1980 Corvette with a 454) said it would be easier and better to get a turbo than a super.

To give you a run down of what I know about cars, my best friend owns a '65 mustang w/ a 289 bored 40 with a 2 barrel carb. I've help replace the radiator on her. She has 16" glasspacks and thats about all she has. The same friend owns a '57 Thunderbird and a Willis Jeep (not sure of the year.)
So I'm not entirely an idot Any information would be greatly appreciated.
mormanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 20:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: Simply Preformance

Simply Preformance<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<HR align=center width="100%" color=#999999 noShade SIZE=1>

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->Its my 1st post here and I don't mean to be out of place but I'm looking at a 1996 Ranger V6 w/ a 4.0 and was wondering what I could do to get a little more juice out of it.
I would love to get a Turbo for it and my metal shop teacher (owns a 1980 Corvette with a 454) said it would be easier and better to get a turbo than a super.

To give you a run down of what I know about cars, my best friend owns a '65 mustang w/ a 289 bored 40 with a 2 barrel carb. I've help replace the radiator on her. She has 16" glasspacks and thats about all she has. The same friend owns a '57 Thunderbird and a Willis Jeep (not sure of the year.)
So I'm not entirely an idot <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1026 style="WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.fordforums.com/images/smilies/smilies6.gif" src="file:///C:DOCUME~1HP_ADM~1LOCALS~1Tempmsohtml11clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>Any information would be greatly appreciated.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
Hello Normanman.
To start off with the exception of the Willis jeep, The 80 vette and the 65 stang and the 57 Tbird all share 3 things in common, there are all non computerized vehicles that love fuel, and have a lot of power. They’re out of the muscle car era, and by today’s standards they are very expensive to own especially when talking about fuel prices.
The 96 Ranger with the 4.0 v-6 is on the other end of the spectrum of the cars you so admire, or desire. The Ranger feasibly can never be anyone of these muscle cars, for it was designed in a different era under different criteria.
I feel someone has mislead you on the ease in application of turbochargers and superchargers, as I know of no vendors suplying a kit for this vehicle. They are not as easy to install as just bolting them on, or plugging them in like a high performance chip. Instead there are many parameters that have to be taken in for the design of your engine to utilize the supercharged ( turbo ) intake. You would have to completely re-build your engine, and design it around the fuel you choose to use.
Since your volumetric efficiency will be going up with some sort of supercharger, your pistons will need to be changed to a lower compression ratio, and it is wise to have the heads /block o-ringed, and camshaft changed to take advantage of the new flow characteristics, to name a few things. On the processor end, you just opened a whole new can of worms sort of speak, an aftermarket chip will be necessary and might even have to switch out processors with a wrecked truck that had a supercharger on it. Emission standards of your state will probably be the biggest hurdle you’ll have to jump over.
If you want to high performance in a new vehicle, then I would buy that vehicle, but If you are wanting a lot of flexibility, and change major engine designs, then I would personally suggest to buy something pre 1975, for they don’t have computers on them, and in a lot of states they are smog exempt. It will also cost you less to modify these cars than computerized ones.

I was unseccessful in trying to find a kit for your ranger, but maybe you'll have better luck.
I tried Google and typed in this for a search 1996 Ford Ranger Turbocharger kits.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=1996++Ford++Ranger++Turbocharger++kits&btnG=Google+Search

If you have any questions, feel free to ask………….
Chongo
Chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 13:05   #3 (permalink)

I am sorry but Chongo sums it up pretty well. For the newer vehicles you will need a kit designed around that particular vehicle. The best you can possibly get is an extra 25-30 hp for $1500 from a custom charger. There are other ways to bump the performance in a newer vehicle though. the first is some flat-top pistons, shave the head (watch your clearence), bigger injectors, perf chip, and some 1/4hp mods that are too expensive to consider. Or drop a new engine in it (most laws will stop you here as most say that only a newer engine can be put in your vehicle)
fairlanecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 13:28   #4 (permalink)

All rightie then. That kinda sucks. I am aware that the Willis, T-Bird, Vette, and Mustang don't have computers but Thanks.
mormanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum