Spark plug problems! Please help! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 11:34   #1 (permalink)
mac2

Spark plug problems! Please help!

Okay, to start off, I have had my 1999 Ford Ranger XLT for the better part of 3 years and it has run GREAT for me, love the little thing.. Other than my current problem, and regular maintenance, I have only had one major issue, which was a cracked intake manifold gasket. Family friend fixed it, and charged me MUCH less than any other mechanic would have.

To the point now, when I first bought this truck my brother and I went ahead and did all regular maintenance checks and repairs. Replaced the spark plugs, changed the oil and filter, air filter, checked the brakes, tires, etc. When we purchased the plugs, he told me to get the Bosch Platinum +2 plugs telling me they'd be better for gas mileage, power, etc. Well after about a year, my check engine light comes on and the system check came up with a cylinder 3 misfire, so I checked the spark plug for cylinder 3. Sure enough, I found that the electrode had 'broken' or 'blasted' off. Used a unique 'ghetto rig' to vaccuum out the cylinder to be sure there were no broken pieces of ceramic from the plug, and started it with no plug there, pieces flew out, I checked the other plugs, and replaced the one.

Now again, a year later, same problem comes up, same plug/cylinder etc. Here I'm goin 'wtf is wrong here!?' My dad says go back to the OEM Motorcraft plugs, and get rid of the Bosch plugs, so I replaced all 6 with the motorcraft and found on the other side of the engine that one plugs' electrode is HANGING out between the two metal prongs, in danger of falling out, and hitting my cylinder walls.

My question: Has anyone EVER seen this happen???

If so, [or not] do you have any idea what would cause it?

Any response would be greatly appreciated, thanks and here are some pictures below!

-Tim

[IMG]
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...sFalcon005.jpg[/IMG]

mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 13:42   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Spark plug problems! Please help!

Haven't had that problem but haven't used Bosch plugs. They don't have a very good reputation in shops around here.
Old 07-17-2011, 14:10   #3 (permalink)
mac2

They've lost any reputation they COULD have had with me, that's for sure. Have you heard of NGK spark plugs a friend of mine reccomended them to me, but he's all Honda, and not for Ford... If that makes a difference of any kind. Lol
Old 07-17-2011, 17:26   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I'd use Motorcraft or Autolite. We've had good luck with them.
Old 07-17-2011, 17:54   #5 (permalink)
mac2

I went back to Motorcraft, should have just gone with it from the beginning.
Old 07-20-2011, 20:17   #6 (permalink)
mac2

Nobody has an idea as to what would be causing this to happen???
Old 07-20-2011, 20:31   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

The only thing I can figure is poor quality in the manufacturing process. Probably made in China these days.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:16   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

Many years since I had that problem with a car in the workshop and it was finally found to be caused by pre-detonation .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum