Stalls when I brake. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2007, 13:49   #1 (permalink)

Stalls when I brake.

Greetings fellow Rangers!

I have a question and it may not be just a Ranger question either but that's what i got. Today I was going to the store and when I got about 3 miles from my home I was braking for the stop sign, my truck started to jerk, and when I came to a compete stop it died. I got it started again but everytime I put it in drive a hit the gas it died. I eventually got it to go by putting it in neutral touching the gas just a little bit, putting it in drive and it went fine (sort of) from there yet every stop sign it wanted to die so I had to roll through them. It happend to a lesser extent a couple times over the past few months but this was the worst. Before I just got to a top sign it would jerk, maybe die, but when I started it back up again everything was fine and worked fine for the next few weeks. Anybody got any clues. I heard it may be a ingnition module or a solenoid but I was wondering if any of you have had this probelm.

Thanks for your time
Dirtyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2007, 20:55   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: Stalls when I brake.

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Could be a clogged filter or failing pump.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 18:13   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I got a fuel pump being delivered as we speak. I was also told if that is not it it could be the torque converter, but I dont think it is that.

Thanks for responding!
Old 06-06-2007, 18:28   #4 (permalink)

Also, try checking the throttle body, MAF, Air filter and IAC.

If its dirty, clean it! Will usually solve the problem.
kiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:52   #5 (permalink)

i am having the same problem with my 93 ranger right now. did you ever find out what the problem was
loth93ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 15:22   #6 (permalink)

could be the egr valve.. i had my truck jerkn ..and i checkd it and the truck has not been jerking ever since then
ilDiavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 14:41   #7 (permalink)

Long time no talk. And the reason is that when I replaced the fuel filter is started working again. BUT, about a month ago it was doing it again. This time I took it to the dealer and had them run a diagnostic and they came back and told me they think it is the torque converter and it will be 4,000 bucks to fix, YEAH!! OK!! The transmission was the first thing I thought of the first time around but after talking to Mr. Mullet and a mechanic friend of mine the filter seemed to be a good place to start and it worked. So this time I was thinking maybe the pump was bad and the filter just temporarily fixed it and I was anticipating that was what the dealership would tell me. But I am questioning their logic, if the filter got it going again then how could the torque converter be bad? Plus that is there best educated guess, they were not 100% sure. I am having them put in another filter and I am going to get a second opinion. Plus I am going to question them on their diagnostic that ran me 90 bucks, it seems to me that they guess torque converter and jumped all over that without running through other scenarios. Plus I am going to get different gas from now on.

Oh, and to loth93ranger, sorry I did not write back but as I said, fuel filter.
Old 02-04-2008, 16:39   #8 (permalink)

OK, just got it back home and it didn't die on me at all and that is good being that it was dying constantly before I brought it to the shop. I had them install another fuel filter and it seems to be running much smoother though it did almost died on me twice but just before it seemed to crap out it didn't and was purring again and then no more problems.

I am still very suspicious about this problem.
Old 02-13-2008, 20:25   #9 (permalink)

Unburnt fuel CAN damage Converters,causing overheating.I'm sure some more experienced mechs here might add a word on that! I got my own Code Reader with rebate for $39.99! at Pep Boys last Summer.Actron CP9135. Now selling for *$89.99! It works Great just Plug it in Drive along or Test Idle! Works on most OBD2 Computers. I love it! My Wife Paid more to have the Check Engine light code "removed" ,on her Sport Trac! I stalled ,one time a few years ago,when I made A Quick stop,turn. Hasn't done thast again.I have a 02 Ranger XLT Supercab,V6 3.0 4X4 Off Road 82000 miles,Runnin GOOD!
rangerteret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:54   #10 (permalink)

I had a car once did the same thing, and it was the crankshaft censor. Every time I would stop it would die. But fire right back up. I replaced it and it never did it again.
specv_max is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum