starting distress 87 ranger... HELP! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2003, 17:51   #1 (permalink)
frenziedranger

confused starting distress 87 ranger... HELP!

i hope someone can help me with this. my ranger started to run rough on the way home from work the other day, and it was as if it had jumped time. all the timing marks line up and i've been troubleshooting this for about 2 weeks withn no success. the darn thing wont even idle now and a friend suggested that it might be a head gasket and said i could run a specific test to see if that might be it. he said to take 2 plug wires off and try to start it and if it would idle then i probably had a blown head gasket between the 2 cylinders where i had disconnected the plug wires. well, needless to say i didnt get very far with that and when i tried my second combination of wires a new problem developed....MY MOTOR WILL NOT STOP TURNING OVER! even with the key off it cranks over as long as the battery is connected. i really need to get this truck back on the road as i need it for work. cant haul all my tools in my wifes car but cant really afford to take it to a shop. if anyone has any ideas where i should turn next, they would be greatly appreciated. thanks alot. oh by the way its a 1987 ford ranger 2.3 liter efi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2003, 13:26   #2 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

Re: starting distress 87 ranger... HELP!

soory i didnt have time to help you out earlier but i have been busy.
tell your friend you dont want his help anymore because he costs you too much money.
apparently the starter selenoid is stuck which allows the battery to flow direct to the starter motor with the key on or off. try rapping that with a screwdriver handle or suitable persuasive device.
as for the 2 plug wire thing that doesnt proove anything in my book because i have seen a V8 engine run on 4 cylinders before, and i have driven my truck home already on 6 cylinders when i had a piston break and split the block.
have you gotten any engine lights yet from the idle problem. i would look for a vacuum leak or something along that line for the roughness issue.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum