startor problems 1997 ranger - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2005, 17:32   #1 (permalink)

startor problems 1997 ranger

Hi everyone, I've been having trouble with my ford ranger. It,s a 1997 4cyl 2.3 witha 5 speed transmission. I have put on three rebuilt starters and now a new one. And I just broke down again, it acts as if it's the selonoid. It clicks at the relay, well I put a new relay new battery. And had it checked out under a load and it was good. Today I got under the truck and unpluged the wire on the selonoid, and noticed the bracket that holds it to the block was off. I shook the wire and it started, is this possible that the harness could give me a bad selonoid sign?
mranhhoa1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2005, 19:12   #2 (permalink)
TheCATman

Re: startor problems 1997 ranger

wiggle the wire and it works....
this is known as the "wiggle" test

if indeed the starter works when u wiggle the wire then check the wires connector or the wire itself.
it's a high possibility that there is a break somewhere in there or just a bad connection at the terminal.

hence: when u wiggle the connection it makes and breaks it causing the start/nostart issue.

Laterz,
Jplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 13:38   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jplayer
wiggle the wire and it works....
this is known as the "wiggle" test

if indeed the starter works when u wiggle the wire then check the wires connector or the wire itself.
it's a high possibility that there is a break somewhere in there or just a bad connection at the terminal.

hence: when u wiggle the connection it makes and breaks it causing the start/nostart issue.

Laterz,
I know what you are saying about the wire, it didn,t take a genius to figure that out. But the question is would the harness at the startor cause the relay to click as if it were a selnoid problem. Thanks for the reply Laterz..
Old 09-02-2005, 13:45   #4 (permalink)

I know what you mean, but the question is would the harness being near the startor cause the relay to click if it had a short at the relay?..........Thanks for the reply .......
Old 09-02-2005, 13:48   #5 (permalink)

Is there any who has a book that would show the wire harness for a 1997 ranger 2.3 5 speed. Where exactly does the wire run through the harness to the relay? Thanks Ray.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum