Thumping Noise - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 19:36   #1 (permalink)

Thumping Noise

I have a thumping noise in the drivers side tire area, I just noticed it today. I checked all around the tire and did not find anything lose or out of place. The noise is loudest when going at low speeds but its not a real loud noise you have to turn the radio off and take your foot off the gas to really hear it and it sounds like its making the noise every tire revolution, And when you get to higher speeds the noise lessens. The tire itself is fine it has good tread and the bolts are tight. Its a 99 Ford Ranger Reg Cab, 5 speed man with a 2.5l 4 cyl engine with 129,660 miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Holo989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 08:21   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Thumping Noise

I'd keep things simple and have a tire rotation done. By putting the front tires at the back will rule out if it is a misaligned or improperly worn tire that's causing the noise. Is the noise the same, louder or non existent when you turn corners?

Worst case is a wheel bearing is on its way out. You can check this yourself by lifting the wheel in question and placing one hand on top and below the tire. If you can rock it and you notice play, then the bearing is the culprit. Generally wheel bearings will get louder with speed as they wear out. A lot of bearings produced now are sealed units (not greaseable). Otherwise if the tires are ruled out then it could be a variety of things, such as pitman arm, CV joint or suspension bushings which generally squeak at lower speeds and diminish to nothing on the highway.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 23:34   #3 (permalink)

Re: Thumping Noise

i agree with 360 ci but if you try to move the wheel and it doesnt have play that doesnt mean the bearing is good it still could be bad but i would run my hand along the top of the tire to make sure it not choppy first
bigjim2521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum